Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
October Coffee Discoverings by Mark Prince
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > October Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Weasel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2007, 12:11pm
Subject: Re: October Coffee Discoverings by Mark Prince

Loved this article, except for the amount of space given to a so-so grinder.

Regarding the trade show articles, they don't do much for me, however I would like to see some barista comments. Something along the lines of a brief interview with one, two, or three of the baristas involving which coffees they used, the roast, how they dosed it ( heavy?, light? ), and why. If the columnist can draw out a little 'barista philosophy', that might prove useful to us commoners at home. I don't know how guarded the competitors are with their espresso insights, but it would be nice to see, if possible.

I especially like your passion for espresso cups. Personally, I love the look, and the variety of the Mou cups, and in general, I much prefer decorative cups to plain white.

I have a question about the 'comfort' of the Mou cups, and in relation, preheating them. I preheat my cups with hot water to get the cup 'fairly warm', then brew. These cups look far thicker than any I have used. Do you have a recommendation for how much to pre-warm/heat these cups? Warm? Very Warm? Hot?

In regard to the heat, are the cups comfortable to hold?

I also enjoyed reading about the coffees.

Keep the opinions and recommendations coming. Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
The_Mighty_Bean
The_Mighty_Bean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: "Beauty"  (the gentle and...
Grinder: Gi-normous Rossi RR45; 100...
Vac Pot: Have my eye on a Yama
Drip: French press purist, have a...
Roaster: Hairdryer and a wire whisk....
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2007, 1:27pm

Just as an aside, when in Italy, I read a thing or two about the regional espresso traditions. Naples was famous for keeping their cups immersed in hot water until it came time to pull the shot. The drink was served with the cup itself hot enough to merit some caution as it approached your lips.

I am sad I never got to observe this directly, or try the Naples espresso- we were further North.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007, 8:37am

One of my problems with the Javagrind is how darned hard it can be to hold it while grinding. And yeah, the flex thing. But the ceramic burrs area darned interesting.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
michaeG

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2007, 10:15pm

I am new to coffee and the whole "signature drink" has me a bit confused. In a world where we are trying to seek out an excellent cup of coffee, why is the championship partially determined by something that seems totally outside the topic?

I am not sure I am successful in stating my feelings so I'll ramble a bit (as a newbie).

I listen and read about these concoctions that might involve liquid nitrogen or some other weird ingredient. I think, is it really their "signature"? If I went to their shop could I order it? It reminds me a little of the whole bar-tending craze of throwing bottles around that the Tom Cruise movie help start. You can flip bottles 'til the cows come home but if you can't make a decent martini what's the point?

But I guess this is a world where craft isn't exciting enough.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2007, 2:55am

rasqual Said:

One of my problems with the Javagrind is how darned hard it can be to hold it while grinding. And yeah, the flex thing. But the ceramic burrs area darned interesting.

Posted November 18, 2007 link

The next Coffee at the Moment is going to talk about a much better hand grinder ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > October Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209084033966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+