Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Early Fall 2007 Coffee Miscellany by Mark Prince
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Early Fall 2007...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2007, 5:39am
Subject: Re: Early Fall 2007 Coffee Miscellany by Mark Prince

Bwahahaha ... you think that my blog should be updated more ... hello Mr Pot, have you met Mr Kettle ;P

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2007, 9:43am

gwencafe Said:

. . . different coffees are optimized for different things: straight espresso, drip coffee, mixing coffee with milk.  Even shelf life!  I'd like to give a hug to Illy for saving me on a miserable trip to the East Coast last week.  They're a big company but they manage a decent espresso blend that can be shipped and sit.  I never thought I'd be greatful for that!

Posted October 15, 2007 link

Hmmmmm . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Iconiq
Iconiq

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Roaster: Pop Corn Popper
Posted Fri Oct 19, 2007, 3:23am

First off, Mark, another great article!

Secondly, CAN ANYONE help me? I tried to order one of them brewit thingies, from corneliabean.com. All goes smoothly till i get to the "select shipping method" page. THere are just no options, and the site will not let me go anyfurther on the transaction than that. Does anyone else have this problem? Does me being in Australia cause this to happen? AHHHHH

Ha ha, any help would be great,
again, that was a good read.

Des
Bubbamike

Espresso: Fiorenzato Bricoletta
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus....
Vac Pot: Cory and Silex
Drip: Chemex and Melita
Roaster: Hot air popcorn popper
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2007, 11:31pm

I use a version of what is being sold as the Brewit for tea. I got it from Teavana and I think it is of higher quality than the Brewit. I had a version like the Brewit and the filter was a constant problem. it would float off it's foundation and the tea would leak out. Not a very good design. The Teavana design is much better and it would seem to me it would work for coffee just as well as the brewit and have fewer filter problems.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Oct 23, 2007, 4:24pm

I was wondering if anyone had any comments about this part of the article:

The schedule coming up is pretty intense. I'm still waffling on whether or not I'm going to Milan in a few weeks for the bi-annual Hosts Expo, which is such a huge hospitality trade show (stretching across 12 buildings, and some booths can cost up to half a million dollars), it makes the SCAA show look like a yard sale. Also in October, I've got a variety of small tastings planned, sessions with one of Vancouver's top bartenders (if not one of the best bartenders in all of western Canada) about kick-starting the Mixology column, and at the start of November, the Seattle CoffeeFest show, which I'm not sure I'm attending or not.

In fact, I've been having a hard look at attending industry only events as of late. This entire year has been a bit of an introspective look at how important industry events and shows are for the audience of CoffeeGeek. I know it serves the professional community well, especially those who cannot attend the show - seeing a full blown report of these events helps fill them in about what they miss. But I looked back at our budgets in previous years, especially heavy years like 2005 and 2006, where CoffeeGeek paid about $12,000 just for travel expenses to cover these things, and I wonder how much of that money served this community well. It served me well, being able to establish new contacts, meet old ones, hang out with friends and have a good time. Along the way, I've been able to improve my skills as a judge, evaluator, and overall coffee and espresso appreciation, but there's other ways to do that. If I had $6K per year to spend on making CoffeeGeek better, is it still best spent attending all of these industry things, or is it better spent doing direct consumer oriented things, sponsoring consumer oriented trainings and events, and just filtering that money into things that affect the majority of the site's readers and contributors?

I actually don't know the answer to that, but it's been weighing on me a lot this year.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
harrymanback
harrymanback

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Wed Oct 24, 2007, 4:59pm

MarkPrince Said:

I was wondering if anyone had any comments about this part of the article:

...I've been having a hard look at attending industry only events as of late. This entire year has been a bit of an introspective look at how important industry events and shows are for the audience of CoffeeGeek. I know it serves the professional community well, especially those who cannot attend the show - seeing a full blown report of these events helps fill them in about what they miss. But I looked back at our budgets in previous years, especially heavy years like 2005 and 2006, where CoffeeGeek paid about $12,000 just for travel expenses to cover these things...

Posted October 23, 2007 link

how about knocking out one of these trips a year, and instead coffee geek hosts an annual raffle: one lucky cg'er wins a trip to vancouver to tour the cg lab and the city's coffee scene?!  a chance to meet the rock star mark prince?!

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
jamhat

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brugnetti Simona Top
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Fri Nov 2, 2007, 12:05pm

Yep!
Blueberry Cheesecake!  
I just picked up the Ethiopia Limu from Batdorf.  I wanted to try it for myself and see if my tastebuds could detect blueberry cheesecake flavor.  Even my inexperienced pallet could recognize it!

If you haven't tried it, I would recommend it.
auerbach
auerbach
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau
Drip: Krups Aroma Control Therma
Posted Tue Nov 13, 2007, 7:49am

I bought a brewt some time ago. It makes OK tea. But that's not what I use it for. It's a degreaser. I make stock a lot and I have various degreasers all based on the fact that fat floats. The spout up from the bottom style sucks; valves out the bottom are the way to go. I have an old old one, very simple (a hold in the bottom of a plastic cup, the hold has a sort of plastic neck over which fits a plastic piece that accepts a slide-in cover with a little handle that pokes a slot cut into the bottom rim. Hmm, maybe a picture would help.) very perfect one that isn't made any more and that I'm scared will break someday. But Brewit makes a great degreaser. It has the awkwardness that I have to trigger the release manually when I'm decanting into a large vessel.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Early Fall 2007...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23938703537)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+