Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
From Alberta to Esmeralda by Mark Prince
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > From Alberta to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mgalli

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Euro 2000 Jr.
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: French Press
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2007, 7:03pm
Subject: Re: From Alberta to Esmeralda by Mark Prince

I enjoyed the article.  I have learned so much about coffee/espresso from you.  Thanks Mark.  I think the idea of coffee flights is great.  The largest coffee roaster in my small town prefers to roast the beans dark.  I would like some of the beans roasted lighter.  

My favorite coffee shop in my town of Chico, Ca. has a similar sign as in Bumpy's.  There sign stated: Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy.  My wife and I always get a good laugh at this sign, as we look down at our 4 year old.
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 7:40pm

Mark pulling the Esmeralda wrote "But the espresso process did what it always does - finds what is perhaps the most dominant flavour in the cup, and magnifies it. It also takes other things normally found in the cup of a single origin that are more subtle, and sometimes obliterates them".

This statement is very important to me. The attached collage shows SO shots pulled at home on my Zaffiro and at three coffee houses. At these three coffee houses I like the SO shots better than the blend shots. At home on my Zaffiro I also like SO shots better. I see a trend, but I always wandered why? From this statement looks like that the espresso, by magnifying the dominent flavor and by sometimes obliterating the subtle flavors, makes the SO espresso taste very one-dimentional. So one taste really stands out and makes it easy to identify. That amplified single flavor is what makes me like SO shots better than blend shots where it's all about the multiple flavor complexity. Of course sometimes a SO is simply better tasting than a blend. This SO shot from Barefoot is made using Panama Finca Hartman beans. Greg from coffeeratings.com actually rated Barefoot on the quality of this Panama shot and not on the blend shot at Barefoot because he didn't like it too much. Mark's statement makes me ask another question. Say you have a really good SO that pulls balanced espressos. What is easier to pull, a good SO shot or a good blend shot?

GaryH: Ristretto_SO.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 2, 2007, 10:55pm

This is a great comment. And It's making me re-examine SO shots a bit.

I've always wrote that what I like most about espresso are the pleasant surprises and complexities. But that's me.

Then I think about other culinary things, and sometimes, I just like the magnified, single, "super" taste. Prime example: strawberries. Bern, Switzerland ruined strawberries for me because over there, I just got this luscious, super sweet, low acidic "strawberry" flavour out of them. It's really hard to describe to anyone who's had strawberries here - even the best, most organically grown, "red through to the core" strawberries. They just aren't the same. The acidity levels in strawberries here are different (at least all the ones I've tried, from my own grown, to various organic grown "in season for 2 weeks" local, to the ubiquitous genetically modified monster California varieties. Sure, some are sweeter and less acidic than others, and some have their own "complexities" here locally in Vancouver, but what made the Bern berries stand out for me was just picture textbook STRAWBERRY flavour with all sweetness, no acidity or astringency. And I valued and treasured that.

So while I don't think I'll ever be a fan of SO espressos for myself, you post Gary helped me be a bit more understanding about why others like SO shots.

Thanks!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 3:05am

Sometimes the flavor in an SO espresso is better balanced with a 13-14 gram dose rather than 17-18 grams. Something to try next time you're pulling shots of Esmeralda.  :-)

BTW, what's the difference between the auction lot and the second lot? I thought they were the same.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 11:42am

andys Said:

BTW, what's the difference between the auction lot and the second lot? I thought they were the same.

Posted September 3, 2007 link

Are you trying to cause trouble, Mr. S? :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
andys
andys

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 1:08pm

MarkPrince Said:

Are you trying to cause trouble, Mr. S? :)

<sigh>

No. What unwritten rule did I break now?

-AndyS
coffeeDirtDog
coffeeDirtDog
Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 7:19pm

Mark,

Could you give a few examples of SoE you have sampled/from who... so I could have an idea of where this SoE bias comes from?  Considering the banner ad I'm looking at above, it gives me quite a chuckle.

If you want a fantastic SoE of Ezzie, I know a guy in Taiwan and promise it may change your perspective but it will cost.

www.barismo.com
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 8:31pm

andys Said:

<sigh>

No. What unwritten rule did I break now?

No unwritten rule. But Andy, you do tend to enjoy the subtle humour, and I thought that is what you were doing here. Apologies if you weren't.

I wrote in the article the differences between the 600lbs of the auction lot, and the "second lot" stuff.

The auction lot coffees were screen and sorted better, kind of the "best of the best" when you see the green, and the roasted.  The second lot stuff is from the same land, same plot, etc etc, but not screen or sorted as minutely as the auction coffees.

Jaime - Auction lots came from source (the auction samples), 49th, and a third supplier I cannot name. Second lot coffee from Tom Owen, some sent privately from the CCC stuff, and from Coffee Klatsch.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
andys
andys

Posted Mon Sep 3, 2007, 11:25pm

MarkPrince Said:

No unwritten rule. But Andy, you do tend to enjoy the subtle humour, and I thought that is what you were doing here. Apologies if you weren't.

I wrote in the article the differences between the 600lbs of the auction lot, and the "second lot" stuff.

The auction lot coffees were screen and sorted better, kind of the "best of the best" when you see the green, and the roasted.  The second lot stuff is from the same land, same plot, etc etc, but not screen or sorted as minutely as the auction coffees.

Hi Mark:

I wasn't trying to be funny, it was actually a serious question. Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. If you have that same info in the article, I still haven't found out where (after rereading)!

-AndyS
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Sep 4, 2007, 12:49am

Damnit.

My bad. I covered the esmeralda so much. This article that this thread belongs to, and

"From the poorest postal code to the most expensive coffee"

and the most recent podcast, I forgot where I went into a description about the differences (to my eye, and my tastebuds at least) between the Auction Esmeralda and the Second Lot stuff.

Here's where I went into it, in depth:

http://libsyn.com/media/coffeegeek/cgpodcast_058.mp3

(tune in to around minute 42 or so). Also detailed here:

"CG Podcast 058 - Post WBC, Communities and Esmeralda"

Sorry Andy, I thought I'd written this stuff out. Turns out I talked it out, on the podcast ;-S

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > From Alberta to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374907970428)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+