Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Kickstarting the Rant & Rave by Mark Prince
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Kickstarting the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2007, 8:00pm
Subject: Kickstarting the Rant & Rave by Mark Prince

Kickstarting the Rant & Rave
by Mark Prince

A bit of a kick in the seat of his pants got Mark thinking about getting back to the roots of what his column space on CoffeeGeek is supposed to be all about - but it took readers, our content editor, and a lot of re-reading of the website to get there... maybe.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 2:16am
Subject: Re: Kickstarting the Rant & Rave by Mark Prince

One additional thought not in the article:

What was hovering around in my brain during the writing of this article, but never really put to words is that I write a LOT of stuff online. Too much in fact. Typing over 90wpm helps me get all my thoughts on the screen, but often too long for people to read. So I spread it out, here and there.

Some of the stuff I write here in the forums with new thread starters, or over at coffeed, or as a comment on a blog is perhaps content better suited for article space (with more reasoned thinking that goes along with the process of writing an article vs. firing off a forum post), and maybe that's where my "voice" on this website, as some of the commenters over on the CoffeeKid.com story mentioned, is missing.

One prime example that comes to mind - last January, a story broke about a chocolatier that had some of the world's most expensive chocolate (prices at least), but was using questionable ingredients. I started a thread over on Coffeed about this, and talked about how we have similar problems in the world of coffee - more so with the so called "blenders" (profit only driven capitalists who wouldn't know quality if it punched them in the nose), than with the upper tier true specialty coffee roasters.

But as part of the thread, something that was on my mind last year, and even more so this year - confusion by consumers over recognized "brand" names in coffee - and namely, Esmeralda Especiale. How, when I put an Esmeralda Especiale second lot offering on the Holiday Gift List, I had some confused consumers email me asking if it was the auction winning coffee, or not. I mentioned this on the Coffeed thread, and started a small hailstorm of minor bitterness from supporters of that roaster, because, well, how dare I even imply that said roaster may be misrepresenting or purposely confusing their consumers (for the record, I never implied that last year).

This year, it's even worse - I know of two specific cafes / roasters who are telling their customers that the second lot Esmeralda they have on tap or for sale is "just as good as the auction lot", or even claims that Price Peterson himself delivered it from his own cache. It's such a story, that I'll probably be covering it more in detail in the next Rant and Rave.

The point I'm trying to make is this - one thing I'll probably do less of is start up long (winded lol) debates and discussions elsewhere online and even in CG forums (with fresh threads), and start putting more of those thoughts and ideas into articles for the front page. It means they'll be tempered somewhat (for eg, because the roaster / cafe thing is hearsay re this year's Esmeralda, I can't name the business), and it means that instead of just throwing outright accusations, I'll have to write these things with more of a watchdog generalistic approach that says "here's things you should look out for" instead of "here's business A doing this".

Anyway, I'd love to hear everyone's comments on this article - the good and the bad.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
zuppa
zuppa
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Maestro
Drip: Cusiinart DTC-975N
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast2
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 6:04am

Mark,
For me your articles and websites are a glimpse into a world I will probably never get to experience in person. They are important to me and most likely others whose paths and personal life responsibilities limits their participation in an arena (coffee) that is so interesting and filled with interesting people. Your soul searching in trying to find how and what to write and in a manner to offend the least and inform the most  most likely cannot be done. I suggest that you continue to be you and write as you see fit keeping in mind I and others enjoy the articles and info that are found on your web sites and other forums. The "single origin" Mark Prince is preferable to the blend.
 View Profile Link to this post
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 1:56pm

Change only happens by challenging the norm, controversy is not all bad :)

Brent
cclark6000

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Chemex/Bodum press
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 4:35pm

Mark,

I fall into that category CoffeeGeeker who likes most of what you're writing and choosing to put on the site -- not necessarily because it aligns with what I like but because it's about a subject that I've come to adore because of the site and the articles that have an edge to them. For instance, you and I would never agree about the value of single-origin espresso shots, but I love the discussion. I always learn something from it.

From what I can tell by lurking on the forums, I think many CoffeeGeekers can compartmentalize like that. Who knows -- maybe that's naive.

All I know is, my wife blames YOU for the $700 in machinery hogging the kitchen counter; I thank you. It's your opinions and insight -- and how informed they are -- that drew me in and got me started. That's a pretty cool thing. The columns, infrequent as they are, deliver that stuff. I'm now interested in the controversies, the different approaches and the value of getting the basics right.

But, I'm beggin' ya, more updated content! I've heard you remark before about how people are basically missing the meat of the site by bypassing the front page and heading straight to the forums. I'm guilty of that to some degree, though I have to say the site goes un-updated for long periods of time. I feel bad even complaining about this, because I don't pay you any money for all this content, and I can only guess at the time and effort it takes to maintain and update Web sites. (I would pay, though. Ugh. Can't believe I typed that.)

Chris
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 4:53pm

cclark6000 Said:

All I know is, my wife blames YOU for the $700 in machinery hogging the kitchen counter; I thank you.

Posted August 21, 2007 link

and to think you have barely started on your quest! :)
jackandthebean

Espresso: 3+4 Group Linea, Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer Robur, Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum
Drip: Single Cup Monmouth
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 1:55am

haha
I too blame you mark for my 3group + robur + other coffeecrap on the kitchen counter.
also alt.coffee -_-

2007 World Latte Art Champion

Jack and the Bean
www.jackandthebean.com
syscrusher

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III
Grinder: Macap M4, NS Grinta,...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA3, Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex 6 Cup, Mellita Cones
Roaster: Behmore 1600, Iroast2
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 4:15am

Mark,
That article covered a lot of bases of what I have been thinking about the site.

The coffeegeek frontpage is key to me. Countless times I have hit the front page only to be disappointed with no new reviews or guides etc. They are the reason I came to the site in the first place, and the reason I still come to the site.

While I welcome any new articles penned by your good self, until some of these articles make it to the site, I cannot say whether they will satiate my appetite for the reviews and/or guides.

David
Coffee_Cigarettes

Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 12:00pm

I am reminded of a Stephan Colbert interview with political blogger Markos Moulitsas (creator of Daily Kos). Most of the interview cenetered around that same idea that, just because one person posts something on a fourm it instantly reflects the thoughts and opinons of all of the sites creators/moderators/contributors.

Here is is on Youtube. I would try and watch it before Viacom takes it down.
Weasel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 10:07pm

What do I want this column to be? I want it to be YOU! I want your opinions, what is on your mind and why.

If you need a disclaimer, a simple: This is what I think, deal with it, should suffice. Or perhaps "EDITORIAL" at the top of the column will get the point across.

There will always be unhappy people, don't let them keep you from being yourself.

Besides the above, I enjoy the reviews and would like to see more of them.

At my work, we sell coffee/espresso machines and I find your information useful in helping customers. There is no way I could evaluate these machines myself.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Kickstarting the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308917045593)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+