Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
From the poorest postal code to the most expensive coffee by Mark Prince
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > From the poorest...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Aug 17, 2007, 11:00pm
Subject: From the poorest postal code to the most expensive coffee by Mark Prince

From the poorest postal code to the most expensive coffee
by Mark Prince

In the first original article for CoffeeGeek's newest column, Mark talks about the Western Canadian Regional Barista Championship, some magical moments in a place you'd least expect it, and experiencing the Esmeralda Especiale.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
geek
geek
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Kees v.d. Westen Spirit
Grinder: Robur Es
Vac Pot: Hario Siphon
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: 60kg Renegade, 5kg Renegade,...
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2007, 12:37am
Subject: Re: From the poorest postal code to the most expensive coffee by Mark Prince

I've filled out a bio for one article, and had a phone interview for another about poor quality in restaurants, competitions, Esmerelda, etc. in the last 24h. There is more of news to come over the next month on this topic.

About time.
Barrett

Barrett Jones
49th Parallel Coffee Roasters
cv

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Mini EVD, SB Barista
Grinder: Vario, Preciso, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Capresso MT500+, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop!
Posted Sat Aug 18, 2007, 9:03pm
Subject: Re: From the poorest postal code to the most expensive coffee by Mark Prince

I dropped by the Heritage Hall on Tuesday And Wednesday to see just what was happening at the Western Regional Barista Competition and Coffee Fair. Even after regular study at the Coffee Geek site I really wasn't aware of the event until two days before. I was  picking up a pound of coffee from Wicked Cafe and just happened to see a pamphlet. Luckily I had the days off and thought it would be interesting to see what goes on.
I was expecting by the term 'coffee fair' that there would be some local equipment suppliers and coffee roasters showing off their toys and beans. When I dropped in on Tuesday there were a few machines on display but it really looked like the few people that were there were just getting set up for the next day. Not much happening otherwise that would interest a consumer and I left after about 5 minutes.

I did come back on Wednesday during the competition and stayed for a couple of hours. Again not a lot going on for the consumer other than the actual competition but that was well worth seeing and I'm glad I came back.

I for one would definitely be a lot more interested next year if there are formal or even informal consumer education programs and if you can get the consumers to show up it should be straight forward to get a few equipment and accessory suppliers along with a few roasters to show off their wares. Count me in if you can accomplish that. It will take a little promotion though.

Conrad
 View Profile Link to this post
jackandthebean

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 3+4 Group Linea, Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer Robur, Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum
Drip: Single Cup Monmouth
Posted Sun Aug 19, 2007, 1:54am

HA
once again Vince's Right hand is made famous! in the front pic!

2007 World Latte Art Champion

Jack and the Bean
www.jackandthebean.com
Beanes

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2007, 1:47pm

Cool piece, Mark. And your mention of Prado not being part of the fun brought me back to my Commercial Drive days ... I love the coffee, but they also have wonderful tea.
ChrisCullum

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever
Grinder: Macap M4 stepless doser,...
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 8:20pm

I also dropped by on Tues. I actually had to look at one of the flyers because I thought I got the day wrong. It said Coffee Fair but it was pretty much just set-up and an intro-barista course. I still hung around for a while but there wasn't much going on for the public. I went back on Wed for the comp but I felt a bit uneasy. It was cool to see the Baristi in action but I felt kinda out of place. Like "who do you know"? It seemed mostly industry insiders and friends of the competitors etc. I guess I could have introduced myself to Mark or someone. What do you say "hi there, I don't know you but I really enjoy espresso."? OK buddy. Was the other Nuova Simonelli machine available for the public to have a go with? I did not get that impression. Anyway I'm not trying to be negative because I did enjoy the competition. I guess from Mark's commentary as well it could be a little more accessible to the public (even for the Coffee Geek converted).
jazflores
jazflores
Expertise: I live coffee

Drip: Proctor-Silex
Posted Tue Aug 21, 2007, 9:52pm

hey i've read about the barista competition and I was saddened to read that the event didn't do as well as you've expected, meaning that it could have done better. We had a national coffee forum and barista competition here too (i'm from the philippines) last May and only a few people came to the event. Maybe because it wasn't promoted very well. And not that many coffee shops participated in the competition.
JavaJoel
JavaJoel

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Got a Bodum Chambord Press...
Drip: Krups
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 1:47pm

Regarding the press, I think the Today show on NBC did an OK job on "Esmeralda Especial."  They had a good sound bite, "Coffee is the new wine."  They talked about the price, but didn't start comparing it to say, Dunkin Donuts.  Anyhow, it got me thinking about buying it, especially since they had Mike Perry (from my usual bean source, Klatch Roasting) on the segment.  79.00 US$ per 1/2 pound green ...hmmm....maybe if they threw in free shipping....
plg

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2007, 3:03pm

great article mark.  it was a good couple of days for coffee in vancouver.  Thank you so much for being willing to come down and to judge at the event.  See you next year
peter
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Sun Aug 26, 2007, 10:50am

I think the greater tragedy about the WBC was not the absence of some formidable Vancouver shops, but the COMPLETE absence of ANY shops outside Vancouver-Victoria (and BC). "Western Canada" comprises Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. How about moving the competition around?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > From the poorest...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.266026973724)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+