Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Kickstarting the Rant & Rave by Mark Prince
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Kickstarting the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
japa_fi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ranchilio Silvia (PID)
Grinder: Minimoka M203
Posted Wed Aug 22, 2007, 11:10pm
Subject: Re: Kickstarting the Rant & Rave by Mark Prince

MarkPrince Said:

The point I'm trying to make is this - one thing I'll probably do less of is start up long (winded lol) debates and discussions elsewhere online and even in CG forums (with fresh threads), and start putting more of those thoughts and ideas into articles for the front page. It means they'll be tempered somewhat (for eg, because the roaster / cafe thing is hearsay re this year's Esmeralda, I can't name the business), and it means that instead of just throwing outright accusations, I'll have to write these things with more of a watchdog generalistic approach that says "here's things you should look out for" instead of "here's business A doing this".

Posted August 21, 2007 link

First: I've yet to read the article. I have opened it for reading in another window couple of times already, but for some reasons never succeeded starting reading it.

The main point of this post is: I hate toned down articles, I hate the overwhelming political correctness that originates from USA and is starting to go into absurd levels. I'd rather read something sharp, witty and provocative, even if it provokes me than soft politically correct say-nothings.

Put your asbestos suit on and let the thoughts come out, just make sure you don't cross the limit that can cause you real trouble (=legal threats that actually have merit)
 View Profile Link to this post
vikramseth

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 4:01am

Mark - go unplugged, man!  I read coffeegeek precisely because it isn't cold and corporate - injecting yourself into the site more would seem to even further this as a forum to DISCUSS.  well stated opinions are healthy for the good of public discourse...
invisible_insect

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Sunbeam EM0480
Roaster: Toper 1kg Cafemino
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 6:34am

Hi, long time lurker - first time poster here. Have to say that the thought of reading (or listening) to a watered down version of Mark Prince is disturbing.....and prompting me to post for the first time since I joined in 2003?

Firstly, Coffeegeek started something profoundly great - but very addictive - in my life (trust me I've facilitated group work for people with addictions and I see all the signs). CG educated me about all things coffee. I was able to throw out the instant coffee, and actually feel good (and well informed) about spending $1000 (AUS) on a set up which included a popper/roaster, grinder, and espresso machine. I have CG to thank for the  sense of awakening and enlightenment that comes when you roast, grind, and pull your own shots of espresso for the first time.

Secondly, I return to the CG website on a daily basis (especially to check for new podcasts hint hint) for the fact that there is an opinion. It's your opinion that is creating accountability for a greater standard of products and services in the coffee industry. I feel CG is speaking on behalf of a lot of those out there who don't have a voice in the higher levels? of the coffee community/industry. Your opinion often shows that there is another side to the story - and from knowing two sides of the story we can make more informed choices for ourselves.

Hope this encourages you guys to keep telling it how it is....or how you see it at least  ;-)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 7:45am

japa_fi Said:

First: I've yet to read the article. I have opened it for reading in another window couple of times already, but for some reasons never succeeded starting reading it.

The main point of this post is: I hate toned down articles, I hate the overwhelming political correctness that originates from USA and is starting to go into absurd levels. I'd rather read something sharp, witty and provocative, even if it provokes me than soft politically correct say-nothings.

Posted August 22, 2007 link

I cannot agree with you more.  Political Correctness is nothing more than thought control.  It's objective is to keep the people in power IN POWER.

What the H*LL ever happened to Freedom of Speech?  Of course I put the * in not to offend anyone, God help me if I did ...

Oh, can I say God?

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 8:10am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

What the H*LL ever happened to Freedom of Speech?  Of course I put the * in not to offend anyone, God help me if I did ...

Oh, can I say God?

Posted August 23, 2007 link

Ya know Len, it'll be a sad, sorry day & existence or the END of it all if that's ever taken away! Enshrined personal freedoms, liberty, freedom of speech, etc., all in the name of so called political correctness or having worried about "offending" someone or some "group"..

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 9:36am

CraigA Said:

Ya know Len, it'll be a sad, sorry day & existence or the END of it all if that's ever taken away! Enshrined personal freedoms, liberty, freedom of speech., all in the name of so called political correctness or having worried about "offending" someone or some "group"..

I see it happening in the U.S. now.  It is a scary day when you hear about libraries being subpeonaed for records of books being taken out and who took them out.

Very disturbing that is.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 9:46am

O.T. I would think Len that this is probably a post secondary result of 911, Homeland Security & all the different levels of security & the heightened watch level because of terrorism? I've heard in the USA that on each & every day billions of every type of communications are monitored for certain "key" words, in the interests of National security.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
lethalblonde
lethalblonde
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Grinder: Innova flat burr
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Big, heavy, old wok;...
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 9:55am

Three million words.  I haven't read them all, not even more than a reasonable tenth or so; and I pardon myself as my focus is on writing an epic of fiction, "The Ring of the Lavender Angel," as is footnoted in the article you thought well enough to add to Newbie Revelations.  And that manuscript is approaching a million six hundred thousand words, not counting background character bibles, plot, location description references, etc.

You speak clearly, and the personnae that comes through in your articles always carries a consistent character, a watermark of self that is a delight!  Are you the final word?  No.  But the remarkable circle of moderators are the comprehensive environment that keeps you from sounding like a man with a perfect double in an empty belly preaching from a soapbox through gritted teeth who talks with shaking hands and serrated earnestness.

The serrations remain, undulled, and through the complete environment that is in my minds' eye CoffeeGeek I find a man whose passion and knowledge and opinions are in resonance with domains that are open to others to share and opine for or against without intuitive trepadation of being incinerated with scorn or arrogance.  You commit with articulate fluency that mocks the dumbing down of the masses with ease (and speed!  I manage to fumble a keyboard at barely a quarter of that; while Kathryn blazes through at over 120wpm!) to observations, criticism and remedies on so many aspects (mechanical, organic, and artistic) of coffee and the related community so well that I feel I know the humanity, the humor, and the intelligence of the author automatically.

You are a gatekeeper to a cuisine culture who reasons without being abrasive or contemptuous for the pleasure of such.  Sharing insight without condesention, and without many obvious thoughts to being politically correct, while maintaining a transparent, technically proficient presentation that invites independent afterthought by visitors to CoffeeGeek is a triumph and one which you do not neglect - for accolades grow stale and forgotton as rapidly as this morning's double shot.  Passion keeps the affair with coffee as necessarily fresh and engaging as any cuisine culture demands to remain vibrant.

And that you have; and you infuse so many others with the wonder of good coffee that I can only applaud your journey, and even from semi-isolation here near timberline, look forward to tomorrow!

"Fire when ready, Gridley!"

Trisha

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well."  Seneca, 8 B.C.
Tex
Tex

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 10:47am

CraigA Said:

Ya know Len, it'll be a sad, sorry day & existence or the END of it all if that's ever taken away! Enshrined personal freedoms, liberty, freedom of speech, etc., all in the name of so called political correctness or having worried about "offending" someone or some "group"..

Then too, I've heard rumors that some folks don't concern themselves with whom they might offend, as long as they can make their point clear. Kinda naive to me.

Tex: skunk 01.gif

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
handcannon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PIDed Zaffiro
Grinder: MCI, Innova, Zass, Capresso
Drip: Capresso Aroma Classic 461
Roaster: Modded FR & WBs
Posted Thu Aug 23, 2007, 9:17pm

Unchain the real Mark Prince!  Put it into an editorial column and let the fur fly.  An industry legend in one of my other hobbies is noted for his extremely cogent, entertaining and opinionated diatribes.  All of which are labeled as his own opinions bla bla bla.  He never names names, or gives enough specific information to pinpoint a culprit, but there is no doubt that he has the inside track due to his experience in the business.

Wayne,  who'll only tell Mark who it is

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."  A. Brilliant
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Kickstarting the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308973073959)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+