Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
WBC 2007 Tokyo Japan, Day 1, Road Reports
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > WBC 2007 Tokyo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Jul 31, 2007, 10:10am
Subject: WBC 2007 Tokyo Japan, Day 1, Road Reports

WBC 2007 Tokyo Japan, Day 1
Road Reports article by CoffeeGeek Staff

Day 1 with the full competition starting, including a whole whack of photos from Jack Hanna, a few select videos courtesy of Zachary and Catie, and some 9,000km away commentary to boot, all about the WBC.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cindychang

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2007, 4:44am
Subject: Re: WBC 2007 Tokyo Japan, Day 1, Road Reports

I just hate to see the title "controversy" because it inflames the issue a bit, but at least you ended on a postitive note.  I felt horrible for the competitors when the news came out that the nitrogen cartridges couldn't be used.  I, myself didn't find out until that very moment.  The WBC was told by the SCAJ that there would be a special nitrogen machine provided for competitors who wanted to use it but it wasn't made clear that the machine was available because it was illegal to use the cartridges.  It could have been a language or translation issue.

In the end the process didn't really take a minute...  My demonstration to them on how to use the machine might have been a minute, but I think mostly it took about 20-25 seconds.

I was really impressed with how some competitors took the news well and just dealt with the changes.  Salvador from Mexico and James from UK had really good attitudes about the whole thing.  Just a great example of the spirit and positive environment of the competition.

And, as we can see from the results of the finalists.  James Hoffman and Heather Perry who both had to work around the nitrogen issue still came out ahead.
Cindy
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Aug 1, 2007, 2:24pm

Just a note on this - Controversy was Jack's choice for the title; he's writing the pieces, and wanted to actually show something more lighthearted - like here's the BIGGEST problem this year... not too bad, huh.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
jackandthebean

Espresso: 3+4 Group Linea, Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer Robur, Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum
Drip: Single Cup Monmouth
Posted Wed Aug 1, 2007, 6:06pm

hey, cindy
i wasnt trying to inflame a situation
maybe controversy wasnt the right title, i just wanted to shed some light on an "issue" aspect of the wbc
thats all, nothing else.

So for anybody else who thinks im trying to flame the wbc, im not.  Im here to support it but at the same time im also covering the event.  No event is ever ALL positives.
Hope i dont offend anyone.

2007 World Latte Art Champion

Jack and the Bean
www.jackandthebean.com
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Aug 2, 2007, 2:42am

Updated the Colter Jones entry. Argh, how cruel is fate! On one hand, it's absolutely brilliant to finish seventh in this stellar field of Baristas. On the other hand, if he'd finished literally one second sooner (1 second = 1 point when you're overtime), he would have been in the finals.

I hope Colter sees this as a positive affirmation of his talents, and encourages him to try again for Copenhagen, 2008! (after competing, and possibly winning, Toronto 2007!).

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
julioale

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2007, 9:44am

What happen with day 2?

James used a Compak or a Astoria/Mahlkoenig grinder?
cindychang

Posted Fri Aug 3, 2007, 3:57pm

It's all good guys.  I'm just glad that that was the worst of it.  Things seemed to run so smoothly this year.  I think this was the best WBC yet.  Now I just want to have one without a technical time-out.  The competitor from Germany had a technical stop because his water hose came up above the water line.  Nothing wrong with any of the La Marzocco equipment, just the water hose trying to escape.

julioale Said:

Jim used a Compak or a Astoria/Mahlkoenig grinder?

Posted August 3, 2007 link

James Hoffman used two Mahlkoenig grinders.
persistent_barista
persistent_barista
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Aug 4, 2007, 6:45am

Thankyou Mark for all the positive comments. I felt as though my performance in Japan was a great learning experience. I will indeed be competing in the Canadian championships come September... I`m kind of glad that I didn`t call the clock one second sooner. Carl deserved to be in the finals and I was shocked that he was going in as the sixth place competitor. James put on a great performance but in all honesty I thought Carl and his amazing setup would pull out the win. Everyone that I met at this competition were true professionals and I hope to see them again somewhere in the future. I think the one downfall of my performance was taking risks in the wrong places. I should`ve had a more intersting signature drink... which I had already invented but chose not to use. I also used a timer on my grinder which the judges had taken points off for being not as accurate as without the timer.  I think that the timer on my Anfim is indeed consistent when the hopper is full, but I also realize that there is a certain artisan quality about using a grinder without a timer. My original gut feeling was to perform with a stock grinder but I chose to use the timer because I thought I would create better espresso because of it. I look forward to Canadians this year where I will compete against many great baristas. I promise you, Mark... there will be many more competing than last year which I am very excited about.
jackandthebean

Espresso: 3+4 Group Linea, Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer Robur, Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum
Drip: Single Cup Monmouth
Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007, 2:38am

julioale Said:

What happen with day 2?

James used a Compak or a Astoria/Mahlkoenig grinder?

Posted August 3, 2007 link

blame mark! :p

2007 World Latte Art Champion

Jack and the Bean
www.jackandthebean.com
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2007, 2:08pm

Hey, can't I take a vacation once in like three years? ;)

I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > WBC 2007 Tokyo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.506125926971)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+