Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Coffee and a Donut by James Hoffmann
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Coffee and a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kingseven

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mostly Anfims
Roaster: Probat UG15 and others
Posted Sat Jun 2, 2007, 12:00am
Subject: Coffee and a Donut by James Hoffmann

Coffee and a Donut
by James Hoffmann

James Hoffmann, 2007 UK Barista Champion, discusses signature drinks and the process he went through to develop his signature drink, the Liquid Donut.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iEmil
iEmil
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ09 -PID
Grinder: OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Behmor, IMEX, Toper Cafemino
Posted Mon Jun 4, 2007, 2:52am
Subject: Re: Coffee and a Donut by James Hoffmann

mmmm nice Donut tips ;)

www.iEmil.se
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2007, 10:26am

Donut coffee?!  Now THAT is a drink that Homer Simpson could truly appreciate.  :)

Just kidding.  Good show, James.

DigMe: homerdoughnutsmaller.gif

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
 View Profile Link to this post
Qld_espresso_guy

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2007, 4:41am

A very interesting article.  I always find myself more interested in signature drinks that are practical and down to earth -this is one of them!
danski

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Isomac Giada
Grinder: Isomac Macinino prof Inox
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2007, 4:45am

As I was reading that, I was thinking it would be great to make this at home this weekend....
then I got to the `centrifuge` bit, any advice on how I could do this without a centrifuge?
alanfrew
alanfrew

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2007, 5:42am

danski Said:

As I was reading that, I was thinking it would be great to make this at home this weekend....
then I got to the `centrifuge` bit, any advice on how I could do this without a centrifuge?

Posted June 15, 2007 link

Thought about the flavours involved, and I reckon you'd need something yeasty, some caramel and a hint of vanilla. A dash of sweet beer and some caramel and vanilla syrups should do the trick.

Alan
Qld_espresso_guy

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2007, 3:44am

Interesting point there.  I wonder what sort of blend would go best with those flavours... something dark and chocolately, or perhaps a lighter, sweet roast?
kingseven

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mostly Anfims
Roaster: Probat UG15 and others
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2007, 2:58am

The easiest way to avoid the centrifuge is just to put the donut milk in a nice cold fridge to get all the fat to solidify and start to float to the surface.  Then you can pour it through a rinsed filter paper to get rid of most of the solids.

As for coffees - pretty much anything works as the donut milk is not particularly subtle and will bulldoze over most nuances in the cup....

Give it a try....

www.jimseven.com
www.squaremileblog.com
lethalblonde
lethalblonde
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Grinder: Innova flat burr
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Big, heavy, old wok;...
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2007, 6:27pm

Being both playful with experimenting in the kitchen and far too much the romantic, I enjoyed the article very much!  Thank you!

Though I have access to centrifuges fairly regularly (I am Comms volunteer with our EMS agency up here), no doubt Medical Direction would have angry little kittens if it was ever discovered I was using the equipment to play with hedonistic dimensions further involving me and my Elektra (yep, a bit of local notoriety already ) and - home roast!  (Mark, I do glean the beans, but small-batch pan roasting will remain the limit here, apologies!)

I delight in the whimsy and dimensions enthusiastically explored by all levels of food scientists - to me, it shines as the very heart of why we love to make good coffee, and good food to the bounds of our individual abilities and means.

James, I'll probably never make your signature recipe - but I cross my heart and promise with my hand on a stack of Point cups that I will always be counted on being able to make (and on pretty short notice, too) very good cappuccino and fresh donuts.

It's as close as I'll get, but when I do, I'll smile at the thought of your signature coffee drink.

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well."  Seneca, 8 B.C.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Coffee and a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32625412941)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+