Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA Long Beach 2007 Day 1, Road Reports
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Long Beach...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat May 5, 2007, 4:30am
Subject: SCAA Long Beach 2007 Day 1, Road Reports

SCAA Long Beach 2007 Day 1
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Report from Day one at the SCAA show in Long Beach, 2007, including photos of the USBC, photos from the show floor, and more
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Artazza

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Capresso MT500
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 2:37pm
Subject: Re: SCAA Long Beach 2007 Day 1, Road Reports

Mark,
Thanks for the day 1 report and the photos on flickr.  It would be wonderful to post some scores and analysis from the semi-final round to provide some context and understanding of what happened.  There is obviously a little surprise at who made it and who did not make it to the finals.  We also hear that the scores are close.  We like the photos on Jay - any chance that you have photos of some of the other competing baristi (we understand one or two may be "retiring" after the USBC).  Keep up the nice work - just feed our hunger for almost real-time info and your insight into the onsite happenings!  Thanks!
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 4:17am

MarkPrince Said:

SCAA Long Beach 2007 Day 1
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Report from Day one at the SCAA show in Long Beach, 2007, including photos of the USBC, photos from the show floor, and more

Posted May 5, 2007 link

I remarked on another forum that the convention went virtually unreported by the conventional media (Google news searches all weekend brought up next to nothing).  I expected some greater coverage, both here and elsewhere.  I realize that the participants had their hands full but all the more reason to contract out some coverage.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 6:38pm

Hi Mark:

Nice report; sorry I didn't make it to the show, but reading your writeup helps ease the pain.  :)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
pburbridge
pburbridge

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: hario 3 cup
Drip: Kalita pour over brewer
Roaster: I-roast 2
Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 8:18pm

Hi Mark,

When and where can we here more about this new grinder?  What size are the burrs, how long does it take to grind an 16-20g dose?  How does it achieve an even distribution with a chute like that, do you have to move the portafilter around while filling?  Also, any ideas how much it might retail for and when it might hit the market (sorry but you know I had to aski :)?  It sounds really exciting, finally companies are addressing the serious limitations of current grinders!  I want one :P  

Cheers,

Peter

P.S. thanks for the reports and all the pics
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue May 8, 2007, 11:13pm

pburbridge Said:

Hi Mark,

When and where can we here more about this new grinder?  What size are the burrs, how long does it take to grind an 16-20g dose?  How does it achieve an even distribution with a chute like that, do you have to move the portafilter around while filling?  Also, any ideas how much it might retail for and when it might hit the market (sorry but you know I had to aski :)?  It sounds really exciting, finally companies are addressing the serious limitations of current grinders!  I want one :P  

Posted May 8, 2007 link

I'm guessing you're talking about the Elektra? (I haven't published the LM Grinder thing yet, but it's fresh in my head too).

Let's see what I can answer

Burr size: I was told, but don't quite remember. I know they are conical and they rotate at 500rpms, and I think, but am not positive that they were either 75mm or 85mm.

For speed, it's bloody fast. I didn't time it, but it seemed to me that doing a 14g dose took around 5-7 seconds.

For distribution - I wish I'd taken a video, but I didn't have anything save for my cell phone to do so. It's hard to put into words, except to say, it just distributes clean, even and "gentle" and really doesn't require any manual distribution, including moving your pf around. When I was watching it, it kind of reminded me of the first time I saw the gentle shower action of a .6mm gicleur'ed espresso machine grouphead. It's not the same "action" per se, but I had the same feeling - this is the PERFECT speed for coffee to fall into a filter basket.

You can't move your pf around much when it's slotted into place on the customized fork. It is designed to fit the Elektra PFs, but I'm betting a retrofit for any PF would be easy, since it is just cut and welded metal (the fork). it forces your PF to be level, both side to side, and front to back. That aids with the distribution, I'm betting.

Dealer price - I asked, and they aren't quite sure yet, but the ballpark may be under $1.5K. Considering that this thing eliminates waste, speeds up your prep service, and such, it'll probably pay for itself in a busy cafe inside of maybe 2 months, depending on how much waste you have now.

I am sure that Dr. Fregnan would be more than happy to answer any questions about this grinder. He's very approachable. Email him via their website: http://www.elektrasrl.com/ - mention the grinder and the CG report, and I'm sure he'll get back to you when he gets back to Treviso.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
galtman
galtman

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional,...
Grinder: Cunill El Tranquilo
Posted Wed May 9, 2007, 9:55am

I don't think Intellegentsia in downtown has opened yet, despite the party. :(
MarkPrince

Posted Wed May 9, 2007, 1:59pm

andys Said:

Hi Mark:

Nice report; sorry I didn't make it to the show, but reading your writeup helps ease the pain.  :)

Posted May 8, 2007 link

Andy, you were sorely missed at the conference. I missed your wit. Not to mention your hot bod and bollo tie.

I also, unfortunately, lost out on a chance to talk to Greg. I started at the Barista party (Greg came up to Beata and I when we were sitting with Jay and Carl Sara, snapping photos), but as soon as I started the convo, another person stepped between he and I and took Greg's attention away.

I should get Greg on the podcast. Actually check that - you AND Greg on the podcast. Complete home engineer consumer geekout time.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
pburbridge
pburbridge

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: hario 3 cup
Drip: Kalita pour over brewer
Roaster: I-roast 2
Posted Wed May 9, 2007, 5:06pm

MarkPrince Said:

I'm guessing you're talking about the Elektra? (I haven't published the LM Grinder thing yet, but it's fresh in my head too).

Posted May 8, 2007 link

Hi Mark, yes I was talking about the Elektra and thats for the extra info.  Sounds like a really exciting grinder that could be very competitively priced.  I can't wait to hear some reviews once some people get their hands on these.  I have been considering pairing a Mazzer Kony or Compak K10 with my GS3 (when I get my GS3) but I always felt that something better was just around the corner in the grinder market.  I'll be interested to hear what you have to say about the La Marzocco S grinder too, but I imagine the price on one those is not going to be within my budget :)

Cheers,

Peter
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Thu May 10, 2007, 7:13pm

MarkPrince Said:

I missed your wit. Not to mention your hot bod and bollo tie.

Posted May 9, 2007 link

And not necessarily in that order.  ;)

MarkPrince Said:

you AND Greg on the podcast.

Posted May 9, 2007 link

Better hurry, my phone is ringing off the hook with offers from several Hollywood producers.  :-)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Long Beach...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.378451108932)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+