Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stage
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cindytaylor

Expertise:

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2007, 12:00am
Subject: Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stage

Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup
The Cafe Stage article by Tim Wendelboe

Tim Wendelboe, the 2004 World Barista Champion, reports from Dubai City in the United Arab Emirates on his search for coffee culture and a decent espresso.
 View Profile Link to this post
DigMe

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Thu Mar 22, 2007, 9:37pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stag

So when are we all going to get to see the CG tamper?!

bc

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 22, 2007, 11:11pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stag

It's coming. I got a lot of good (and constructive criticism) feedback from 10 espresso guys and gals from around the planet on the last prototype, but I'm struggling with some final cosmetic changes. I have to get a local CAD guy to do up one more prototype to send over to be cut, before it goes final.

Mark
PS - Tim's gotta be the biggest fan of the tamper so far, which just rocks.

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
flippant
flippant
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Sat Mar 24, 2007, 2:34am

Quite interesting to see how the noveau riche emirates have pretty much decided to skip the second wave altogether.

There's a CG tamper in the works? Awesome :D
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
beata
beata
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Speedster
Grinder: Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Cone
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Sat Mar 24, 2007, 1:19pm

Loved it! You seemed to enjoy your scented tobacco pipe, lol.  I would love to see more reports on the coffee in different parts of the world.

I heard about the booming construction in Dubai and the huge mall so it was nice to read about coffee traditions there. Thanks Tim!
MyronJ
MyronJ

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky (Zassenhaus  Mill Box...
Vac Pot: Aeropress..does it count??
Drip: Bialetti Kaliffa-needs a...
Roaster: IROAST, FZ-RR 700 (Havitush)
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2007, 3:48am

Great Story and interesting location to try to understand...

Traditional waterpipes and Turkish coffee...and then very little care taken with the Espresso...

When you were pouring shots they came for straight espresso..(they meaning locals and i guess many business visitors)...But in the Mall..what were they drinking..straight "espresso" or US of A milk drinks?

In Israel where Turkish coffee (and a wierd variation call Kafe Botz-mud coffee) is quite prevelant..good espresso is not hard to come by (and Starbucks didn't last)..Interesting that Dubai seems to be going in another direction.
timW
timW

Espresso: 1group fb70
Grinder: K30
Drip: french press
Posted Sun Mar 25, 2007, 6:53am

Thank you everyone for kind words.
To answer your question, it was a bit hard to find out on the places I visited. sincs the espresso came in big 6 oz cups, the same cups as cappuccino. But by judging from the time they were sitting down I guessed that the espresso consumption was higher than in Norway and USA, but not as high as in the exhibition. A good estimate would be maby 70 % milk based drinks and 30 % coffee based drinks.

Ciao
daphnelangedijk
daphnelangedijk
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Mar 26, 2007, 11:57pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai:

Hi Tim,

It is very interresting to read what a professional barista like you has to say about the coffee culture in dubai.
I live in Dubai, and Work in the coffee business for the past 3 years.
even for me it is very difficult to sell coffee to shops that simply serve horrible coffee because 1 they have a lousy barista, 2 they have OLD machine 3 they dont know about grinders, 4 they have bad coffee.
most people don't understand the art of making coffee. you should hold a coffee convention here, and sell personal training, you could become a millionaire with more then 2000 coffee shops serving just black liquid!

thanks
Daphne
timW
timW

Espresso: 1group fb70
Grinder: K30
Drip: french press
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2007, 1:34am

Hello Daphne.
If you arrange for the training, I will certainly be glad to do so.
I think the guys at La Marquise were a little bit interested in some training, but you never know if they will actually ask for it.

Enjoy Dubai.
Tim
bobpaule
bobpaule
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Venus, Enrico...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Rancilio Rocky...
Drip: I'd rather seize!
Roaster: Galloping G/Stir Crazy, FR8...
Posted Wed Mar 28, 2007, 11:15am

Any of you tried sand boiled Turkish coffee?

During the Ottoman empire the traveling armies would carry these large metal crates that they filled with sand and put over a fire. The ibrik then was buried into the sand for a uniform heating.

I tried this at a Black Sea resort, not bad at all.

Sadly most people refuse to want to improve on coffee, oh yeah its just coffee, and keep lauding the overroasted watery brews served at Harbucks and other places.

Good for you, i know you made an impression by trying to present espresso for what it really is.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312894105911)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+