Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stage
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
John_Manzo
John_Manzo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Thu Mar 29, 2007, 3:02pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stag

Second Cup in Dubai? Says nothing of this on the terrible unusable locations map on the Second Cup website- so Wikipedia tells me they have locations all over the Gulf. 5 in Dubai. Interesting as they are dropping like flies in Canada, if Calgary is any indication. Most definitely not "third wave" though...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:44am
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai

More evidence that mediocre espresso is univeral and is one of the easiest things to find.
cdrikari
cdrikari

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Macap MXKR, Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Braun
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2007, 12:22am
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary from Cup to Cup, The Cafe Stag

Very interesting.  I had been thinking that I had maybe just gone to the wrong places in Dubai.  Unfortunate.

I haven't had much luck in Bahrain either.  I haven't been to either country enough to try and figure out why though.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
kahvedelisi
kahvedelisi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Epoca ST1
Grinder: LaCimbali Jr, Rancilio MD...
Vac Pot: Hario MCA-3
Drip: filter cone, Aeropress,...
Roaster: Air Popcorn Popper
Posted Mon Apr 16, 2007, 9:59am
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai

just read this article and well.. what can I say, it's all about culture :)

the other half of the world enjoys their coffee 1 dimensional, which is widely known as turkish coffee (that's why when I talk about eastern coffee I'll refer to it as turkish in this post FYI). So that's not a surprise when you can't find other varieties or a decent cup at eastern part of the planet. As I said it's all about culture and the way of living plus traditions. Unlike the other half of the world, coffee represents different things for eastern people, and that fact alone is enough. Ah and a side note "it's not about money or riche emirates" :)

To be more specific; cafe culture at east quite different than west. A traditional cafe at east is not a place for socializing (this is something new to eastern people). Cafes are for gambling, playing games, for drinking hot beverage (tea of coffee) and mainly for smoking. AND drinking hot beverage is the last thing in your list if you're going to a cafe.. see what I mean? :D While doing these yeah people do socialize but not as in west. 20 years back all you'd read in a menu's (if the place got one :P) hot beverage column would be coffee, tea and maybe nescafe (yeah..) Actually reading some eastern history and documentation about eastern coffee culture can help a lot for people who are curious or trying to understand why they're not being served "proper coffee". But here my opinion comes in; asking and "expecting" for a decent cup of espresso or other varieties of coffee in an eastern country same as asking proper sushi in italia. Sure one can find places serving proper sushi in italia but you'd not be so sure unless you're served sushi in japan right? But you'd be sure you'll be served proper pasta dishes or pizza etc :D What I'm trying to say, every country has their own culinary culture, yes different origined stuff served in different countries but also there's high possibility it won't be as good as its origin. I believe it's same for coffee. Eastern people love their coffee brewed in cezve, almost boiled, small portions, muddy with fine grounds at bottom. It's surprising getting surprised when you are not served a proper espresso. For instance I'd not be least surprised if i'm not served a proper turkish coffee or waterpipe (nargile to be more precise) in usa or canada or norway. No offence but even here in coffeegeek guides&how tos section has instructions for turkish coffee preperation and it's upside down and inside out wrong. With your tamper ready in your pocket you're serving something new to these people, something you're familiar with for so long, something you won awards on.. and something probably they really have no idea about.. so I'd not be dissapointed or surprised at all, instead I suggest purchasing 1 cup sized cezve for the other pocket since eastern people still love their coffee that way plus I believe in smooth changes. Keep in mind that this part of the planet still drink tea in the morning with their breakfast and they serve coffee in special occasions or when a guest is visiting their home, or when they are asking the hand of the girl they wanna marry. Simply about eastern people --> if you want to exchange places of coffee and tea in their culinary culture, then you'll need lots of patience and explaining :)

btw bobpaule check this out: "Turkish Coffee Machines" (5th post in that thread)

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's a CoffeeGeek!
FrankRP

Posted Tue Jul 17, 2007, 7:12pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai: A Traveler's Diary

Tim,
Thanks for a great article. I get to Dubai several times a year and have yet to find anything close to roasting and grinding my own beans at home.
I've resigned myself to that awful dreck at the hotels. Even 5 star hotels have bad coffee there.

But I have gotten into the habit of buying green beans over at the Spice Souk, a short walk from the Gold Souk and just off the channel. The beans aren't the high quality I get from Sweet Maria's, but they're reasonable quality and the prices are good.

Frank Parth
 View Profile Link to this post
nblycha

Posted Thu Aug 9, 2007, 12:40am

Please help us,

My husband and I live in Dubai we are both lawyers and have nearly three children (three years and under). (No need to explain why we love coffee).

We think the coffee in Dubai is rubbish.  Closest to best coffee in Dubai is in Mall of Emirates Barista, More does an ok Latte but rest are rubbish.  Texture is all wrong everywhere and agreed the 5 star hotels have no idea....

I think you can get an ok coffee in Lime Tree Cafe.  Although it depends who is on the machine.

I digress.  I am trying to purchase a Rancillo Silvia Espresso Machine and Grinder and we can't find anyone who delivers to Dubai.  It is for my husband's birthday so I would love to get it sooner rather than later.

Can anyone please help us?

PS We just did a holiday in Rome.  We stayed in suburbia and every morning we would get 1 Euro coffee made by at corner shops (bars) it blew us away.  Ahh yes coffee in Dubai is Rubbish.
skansi

Posted Thu Nov 22, 2007, 2:39am

Not sure about "Rancillo Silvia Espresso Machine and Grinder " , but there is a store that sell espresso equipment in Wafi, called Moka (I think).

I make my own espresso with a Saeco machine I bought in the same mall, which makes an acceptable latte. I want to now go up one level and start grinding beans, my only hesitation is where to find good and fresh roasted beans in Dubai. Any help appreciated.
CoffeeVirus

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 4:30am
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai:

Have you been back to Dubai since 2007. If you do I highly recommend trying out some coffee from Coffee Planet. They have their own local coffee roastery and their coffee is superb. Check out their website: http://www.mycoffeeplanet.com
theperfectcoffeecup
theperfectcoffeecup

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 6:04pm
Subject: Re: Exploring Coffee in Dubai:

Great Story! felt like I was in it with you. Never imagined Coffee would be so popular in Dubai.

www.theperfectcoffeecup.com
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233394145966)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+