Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Crema by James Hoffmann
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Crema by James...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
mikkelhaas
mikkelhaas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Technivorm, Aeropress
Roaster: homemade drum roaster
Posted Sat Oct 28, 2006, 10:29am
Subject: Re: Crema by James Hoffmann

I have a question about crema as it relates to flavor.  Intelligentsia emphasizes in their training that one ought to pour milk into the espresso as quickly as possible after pulling the shot, so as to preserve the crema and its flavor-enhancing properties.  I've also heard that one should serve and drink a shot of espresso as soon after it's pulled, for the same reason.  Any thoughts on this?

Awesome article, by the way-- thanks James!

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
brentling
brentling
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: wega, fiorenzato
Grinder: Growing collection of...
Drip: yes people call me that...
Roaster: collection building...
Posted Tue Oct 31, 2006, 3:55pm

Here's another point of view on crema and how it should look...

white even!

Brent
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dolcimelo

Espresso: Elektra SXCD, Aero Press,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona B
Drip: Not since getting the tap...
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 12:30am

brentling Said:

Here's another point of view on crema and how it should look...

white even!

Brent

Posted October 31, 2006 link

Well, to quote Robert Timms:
"(A light brown or white foam indicates the beginning of over extraction and a hint of bitterness)"

Apart from the understatement about "beginning" to over extract and "hint" of bitterness, especially when using Robert Timms coffee, it's probably pretty right. More hilarious is this.

As for Mike's question, I can only say that I have always found the espresso to be better after resting for a minute or so, or combining the crema and liquid by gentle swirling. The crema itself often has bitter elements not necessarily present in the liquid, even in the best extractions. You should, however, also be able to taste more pleasant, often sweet, overtones alongside the bitters. I'm sure this depends on the coffee, to an extent, and others will have different opinions. But I think the balance is better when not consumed immediately. Also, I find the flavours better when the temperature is a bit lower than when pulled, and you will find that the profile changes with the temperature, as with all foods.

Matt
mswanson

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: S1 Vidaldi 2
Grinder: Mini
Vac Pot: I have one
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Heat gun!
Posted Wed Nov 8, 2006, 7:31am

Where can I get green beans of the specific "biodynamic Brazil from South Minas" coffee mentioned in the write-up?
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Nov 8, 2006, 10:29am

Hi Michael,

http://www.carmocoffee.com/page/page/1792281.htm

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
mswanson

Espresso: S1 Vidaldi 2
Grinder: Mini
Vac Pot: I have one
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Heat gun!
Posted Wed Nov 8, 2006, 10:32am

Yes!  Thanks.
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Nov 8, 2006, 10:39am

You're welcome!

http://www.bsca.com.br/lateharvest2006/late_f07_en.php
http://www.carmoestate.com.br/index-english.htm

Lots more, just Click Here (www.google.com)

P.S. I had the very 1st link bookmarked, but all that's needed is a simple search with this Secret Search Button {;-D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ericsenf

Espresso: KitchenAid Proline Espresso...
Grinder: KitchenAid Proline Burr...
Drip: I don't do drip
Posted Wed Nov 15, 2006, 5:57am

This was a great read and held valuable information being a self-taught, hobby barista at home. Now that I  have a machine capable of producing professional results, learning and tuning my technique has become my passion in my pursuit of the "perfect cup".

http://eric.senf.org/blog/2006/11/pursuit_of_the_.html
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:50am

As for the Aussie thread on machines, I think that got out of context - that those buying certain machines are chasing a goal of taste and sensation in the cup, not huge mounds of foam.  In truth I suspect it will be more about the coffees they select and brew than the equipment.

That is both an accurate and a concise summary!

Personally, I've got to say that whilst crema is a good indicator of a lot of things, nothing compares with actually putting espresso in your mouth and drinking it.

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
caffemela
caffemela
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco 3-gr FB70 w/ PID...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ and MINI
Posted Thu Nov 23, 2006, 3:02am

Kudos on a great article James!  I learned much about the chemical make-up of the delicious frosting of a well-poured shot.  Overall the article was very inspiring and has helped fuel the fire of understanding and appreciating good espresso.  I must say that I was a bit confused when I read the portion of the article relating to the color of crema indicating either over or under-extraction.  I have always been taught the opposite of what was written in your article and after a long deliberation, I would like to present a different perspective on the color indications.  

In the article you wrote: "In espresso, a fifteen second shot typically has a much paler crema because it is a much weaker brew. The water has had less time to capture the coffee solubles, and the resulting brew doesn't have the same viscosity that a 25 second well prepared shot may have."

What you say is true that shorter shots are weaker which is due to the fact that there is a lesser volume of coffee in the basket (possible less compacted when ground too coarse).  This does indeed take less time to extract but less time does not mean less extraction.  

For example, when I purposely under dose the basket, the shot is very fast, very light in color, filling two shot glasses.  If I over dose the basket the shot is slower, darker in color, and there is a significant residue of "coffee oils" in the bottom of the basket.  In each case the SAME amount of water is passed over the grounds.  So let's consider the coffee to water ratios here.

The basket that has a lesser dose sees MORE water per particle than the basket that is over dosed.  In the resulting weaker, light colored brew, each particle then is actually more extracted than an over dosed basket.  The extraction time is less because there is less resistance to the flow of water, not because the coffee itself is less extracted.  In the other case with a longer, darker pull and more coffee, the oil left behind in the basket illustrates that the full extraction is not taking place.

I hope I'm making sense, basically,

more coffee in the basket = slower pull with dark crema = not enough water to fully extract the coffee = under extraction.
less coffee in the basket = faster pull with lighter crema = too much water and pressure for the dose = over extraction.

This is what I've always been taught and in my experience it is true.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again for an inspiring article!

Darren Reynolds
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Crema by James...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242393016815)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+