Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Tamping Science, Theory and Practice, Part One by Mark Prince
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Tamping Science,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Prune

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Heavily modified old machine
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Feb 13, 2007, 7:33pm
Subject: Re: Tamping Science, Theory and Practice, Part One by Mark Prince

Philosopher Said:

suggest the best solution to achieve the optimal result.

Posted February 13, 2007 link

The goal here is to even out the extraction from each particle.

One approach would be solvent extraction in a Gregar extractor, with precisely controlled temperature profile and varying mix of different solvents to optimize extraction of the preferred substances.  The result can be vacuum packed and frozen.  Perfect espresso from the microwave (of course, no crema, but the usual crema contents will be there). :)

In the context of an espresso machine, a completely different group-head design with a very wide and very shallow basked could be used, such that all the coffee is virtually simultaneously extracted as the travel time through the basked will be insignificant.
 View Profile Link to this post
Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue Feb 13, 2007, 8:25pm

Prune Said:

One approach would be solvent extraction in a Gregar extractor, with precisely controlled temperature profile and varying mix of different solvents to optimize extraction of the preferred substances.  The result can be vacuum packed and frozen.  Perfect espresso from the microwave (of course, no crema, but the usual crema contents will be there). :)

I am not familiar with the process but I presume the solvents can be removed and are non-toxic.  I gather that the aesthetics of crema (if not the flavour) are produced by tasteless carbon dioxide.

A technically correct answer if not romantically appealing but I guess we could easily engineer another step that will make the result acceptable to the discerning
Philosopher

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2007, 8:33pm

Prune Said:

In the context of an espresso machine, a completely different group-head design with a very wide and very shallow basked could be used, such that all the coffee is virtually simultaneously extracted as the travel time through the basked will be insignificant.

This was what I was thinking but there is another variable that we have not considered.  Perhaps there is an optimal dwell time to achieve adequate diffusion of the components out of each coffee ground.  If the flow of water is too rapid then there is no time for the flavours to be released.  

Ideally all particles are exposed to the same conditions (temperature and pressure) in a sealed chamber before the liquid is suddenly released.

Maybe there is some merit in the presssurised portafilter - but one with a timed pop-off valve.
Philosopher

Posted Tue Feb 13, 2007, 8:49pm

Philosopher Said:

This was what I was thinking but there is another variable that we have not considered.  Perhaps there is an optimal dwell time to achieve adequate diffusion of the components out of each coffee ground.  If the flow of water is too rapid then there is no time for the flavours to be released.  

Ideally all particles are exposed to the same conditions (temperature and pressure) in a sealed chamber before the liquid is suddenly released.

Maybe there is some merit in the presssurised portafilter - but one with a timed pop-off valve.

Come to think about it - perhaps we should refine piston espresso machines to be more like a car engine i.e.

Heated water and grounds are introduced into a via an intake valve into a cylinder, agitated to optimise even exposure of the particles, pressurized and then suddently released through a pressurised exhaust valve.

To achieve optimal extraction you could still control the following variables:

Fineness of ground
Temperature of water
Dwell time
Pop-off pressure

However the problem of evenness in extraction/inconstant compaction is removed.
iZappa
iZappa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Anfim Haus, Ascaso i-2,...
Drip: French press will do
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Feb 14, 2007, 2:16am

Prune Said:

But you are forgeting here that various flavours in the coffee extracts at different time. And that by reducing the shot time, or keeping the shot time the same but grind finer, you will get a different result in the cup.

Read Jim Schulman's excellent article on over- and underdosing your pf for varius degrees of sour/floral and bittersweet tastes.

Some Aspects of Expresso Extraction
Prune

Espresso: Heavily modified old machine
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Wed Feb 14, 2007, 2:20am

iZappa Said:

But you are forgeting here

Posted February 14, 2007 link

I'm forgetting nothing, but you seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.  I am clearly not implying that the time of extraction is shortened, but that a given 2D slice of the water column downwards through the grouphead passes through all grounds in a very short amount of time, thus preventing the development of a significant solute concentration differential between the top and bottom of the grounds.  The overall extraction time (= grounds immersion time) can easily remain the same.

Alternatively, what Philosopher suggested is workable: piston driven machine with three phases, t0 is initial mixing time, t1 is immersion time, and t3 is filtration time.  The optimal setup would have t0, t2 << t1, which is possible if a very powerful piston mechanism and strong filter are used.  Note that t1 can easily be pressurized to mimic the conditions in a regular grouphead, but now you have separate control over extraction pressure and filtration pressure.

BTW, drop by #diyaudio on irc.rizon.net if you want to chat about this, and I'll try to explain it better.
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS at shop, nothing at home
Grinder: NS MDX, NS MCF (home), Bunn...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600, FR-8, Popper,...
Posted Thu Feb 15, 2007, 9:45am

I love where this thread is going!  We are now even diving into different extraction sciences, theories, and practices.  How cool!  Some of it flies over my head, but then I sort of research around and find out more about it.  There is some definite merit to these different ideas about extraction, group size/shape, etc.

Mark... really man, I'm dying here... 2 and 3?  Please?  Can I have the prototype? haha.

-Bry

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
barngal

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus
Grinder: MACAP M4
Posted Sat Feb 24, 2007, 10:37am

oops...missed a page...
fullbodied

Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Posted Fri Mar 23, 2007, 9:47pm

Mark, I just wanted to tell you I learned a lot from this! Thanks for all the hard work you do.
Jen_Savage

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 15, 2007, 3:01pm

Hey, this is the way I do it actually! I didn't know you were supposed to "knock it", so I've always done it the way Mark describes having discovered.

Neat.

Now I have to give the knocking thing a shot.
showing page 9 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Tamping Science,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290090084076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+