Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
illy "Gets It" again - thicker espresso cups by Mark Prince
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > illy "Gets It"...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
billym

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Solis Plus
Vac Pot: no
Drip: yes
Roaster: no
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 5:48am
Subject: Re: illy "Gets It" again - thicker espresso cups by Mark Prince

Illy "gets it", indeed! They also "get big $$$$$$$".

There are many commecial quality cups, high on aesthetics, relatively well finished, and from a heat transfer perspective, technically superior, for much less moolah. The "art" card which Mr. Prince plays is in my estimation overdone, and a buy-in to Illy marketting. It's the same as the amazing prices some folks pay for Illy coffees, again based on slick high end perception marketting. They certainly are "getting it"; and Mr. Prince makes a worthy contribution thereto.
 View Profile Link to this post
bish
bish

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Maestro+
Vac Pot: No counter space left!!!
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe, FrankenRoaster
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 7:36am

billym Said:

Illy "gets it", indeed! They also "get big $$$$$$$".

There are many commecial quality cups, high on aesthetics, relatively well finished, and from a heat transfer perspective, technically superior, for much less moolah. The "art" card which Mr. Prince plays is in my estimation overdone, and a buy-in to Illy marketting. It's the same as the amazing prices some folks pay for Illy coffees, again based on slick high end perception marketting. They certainly are "getting it"; and Mr. Prince makes a worthy contribution thereto.

Posted January 30, 2004 link

Sooo... you don't believe in art for art's sake or the combination of form and function?  There is an argument for all things to be built in a solid, reliable, no-frills manner.... a utilitarian approach to everything.  A cup is a cup is a cup, and it should never pretend to have any function other than to hold liquids?  Any enhancements should only be to improve the function (better heat retention etc)?  If we appreciate art, design, style or whatever you want to call it, what's wrong with combining this with a useful function?  There will always be a small amount of hype regarding anything that can be classed as "contemporary collectable", but if I'm willing to pay a three figure sum for a picture or "object d'art" that serves no purpose whatsoever apart from looking good, then why not do it for something that I can use and incorporate into my everyday life?

I don't think Mark talking-up or overdoing the whole Illy collectable thing... he likes them and has a platform to express his enthusiasm (as we all do here).

Let's put this in perspective... I'd rather pay a hundred buck for a set of Illy cups than for a Beany Baby... now there we can talk about manufactured hype :)

Cheers
Peter (who still holds his Aliens by both ears)
billym

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 8:42am

Objets d'art, oui! Commercial corporate promo cups as art at  $$$$$$, ehhhhhhhh!
dalton
dalton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea, Francis! X5,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum 1 cup, many presspots
Roaster: Z&D
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 8:55am

Don't forget that many of the artists that do the designs for the Illy art cups are well known and respected.  Add to that that many of the cups are really beautiful.  Rosenquist just had a retrospective at the Guggenheim, where they were selling (you guessed it!) the new "Coffee Flowers Ideas" Rosenquist mugs.  Where does commercial promotion end and art begin?  Who's to say?

Dalton

Fred_Astaire

Grinder: Solis Maestro; NS MCF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Braun (love my drip)
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 9:22am

For those who scoff at "commercial" art, consider that Bach, Michelangelo and Frank Lloyd Wright (to name only a few biggies), were all commercial artists.  The list goes on.  When artists can make a living with their art, we, the consumers, benefit.
billym

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 10:57am

Michaelangelo in the same breath as Illy cups?  WOW!

Illy is not a benefactor.The Medici's who funded Michi were the preeminent great citizens and patrons in their society.

Illy are not. Illy is lining its jeans big time and it would be of interest to know how much of the proceeds actually end up in the artiste's pockets.

I don't have a problema with the profit motive. It just seems that Mr. Prince seems to be slavering a might much on their behalf. And some of you good folks out there can't get your arms around the fact that many corporations, (and Illy are big shooters), simply give away promotions at minimal cost to engender customer goodwill.

That they get all this freebee exposure through reviews etc.and make $$$$$, on marginally, in many cases, if at all, better products, and earning the respect of some, as patrons of the arts,  attests to their business smarts and skill at reading and playing the marketplace and their professional friends.
bish
bish

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini & Maestro+
Vac Pot: No counter space left!!!
Drip: Technivorm MoccaMaster
Roaster: Gene Cafe, FrankenRoaster
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 11:44am

Bottom line...  I like them.  I'm willing to pay a premium for them.  In general, I'm willing to pay a premium for anything that appeals to me more than the cheaper alternative.  My judgement call, my choice.  I spent lots more than I need have to get the Giotto Premium... one of the reasons was the way it looked and my pride of ownership.  Corporate and commercial art is still art whether it's funded by the profit motive or altruism.  Illy makes a profit... as they are entitled to do.  They produce a product that I want to own, and they set the price at a level where I can become an owner.  I fully realise that I'm paying a lot for an espresso cup... but it isn't just an espresso cup... and that's the point.

There are many things in life that benefit from being designed to appeal to senses other than the purely practical ones.  I can be as practical and utilitarian as anyone... I doubt that I'd want leather trim, chrome details, walnut dashboard, alloy wheels etc on a tractor...

Cheers
Peter
(who does have totally useless limited-edition prints hanging on the wall)
Fred_Astaire

Grinder: Solis Maestro; NS MCF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Braun (love my drip)
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 12:00pm

Yea, the Medicis were good ol' boys.  No one could dispute that.   I bet they had some pretty fancy coffee cups too.  In fact, some may be on display today in Florence, IN A MUSEUM.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 1:50pm

billym Said:

I don't have a problema with the profit motive. It just seems that Mr. Prince seems to be slavering a might much on their behalf. And some of you good folks out there can't get your arms around the fact that many corporations, (and Illy are big shooters), simply give away promotions at minimal cost to engender customer goodwill.

Posted January 30, 2004 link

Ahhh, the oft-read conspiracy theory. "He says good things about them, he must be paid off. There's back room shinanigans going on!"

How to respond... how to respond.... Well, even though you loosely vieled a comment that questions my objectivity or ethics, I'll take the high road.

Fact: Illy cups are art on a unique canvas. Art by famous as well as upcoming artists. They are limited edition art reprints that are stamp signed and individually numbered. This exists in the art world in other forms - you know, the limited edition prints by famous photographers or painters? But here's a shocker for you - the illy cup "canvas" usually costs substantially less than most short-run (less than 5,000 copies) art prints by the same artists who grace both photography prints and illy cups.  Take for example the Rosenquist mugs - $25 per mug, individually numbered, limited edition. Rosenquists limited edition prints go for much more than that.

Opinion: Espresso *is* art. At least I see it that way. Given that it is art, part of the experience is the frame you pour your art into. Others may argue "any old cup will do". I have more respect for the beverage than that.

Opinion: the Illy cup is, weight issue aside, probably the most aesthetically perfect espresso cup designed. I should know (or should be able to develop a cognitent opinion on the subject). I own over 450 (at last count) uniquely identifiable espresso cups from every major porcelain manufacturer of espresso cups the world over.

Fact: I have received free* Illy cup sets from Illy. Two sets in fact - one was a Christmas Gift they send out every year to hundreds of people in the industry, your choice of several different cups, or cans of illy coffee (I chose a cup). This was given to me AFTER the current story was published on CG. The second gift was a set of preproduction Illy Nudes, and this was given to me because I specifically asked them for a set when I broke my last Bodum Passione clear glass espresso cup, and needed a clear espresso cup for photography purposes. I asked if, once the Nudes became available, if arrangements could be made for me to buy a set from Canada, since their IllyUSA site doesn't normally allow orders outside the US. At the time, Nudes were still not available, and they offered to send me some used prepro-cups to use. I accepted.

*I have received many more illy cup sets that I have not paid for, but I did "work" for - not from Illy, but from a couple of Illy cup resellers. Many of the banner ads you see on CG were designed by me, and for several of them, I traded design for cups. So they weren't free

FACT: Regardless of the Nudes or the Christmas cup (which I picked and recieved after the start of January), Illy does not influence anything I write or say about them because of any paybacks, gifts, or back room shinanigans. Illy influences what I write about them by their deeds and actions in the science of espresso, and the publication of said information.

The fact is, I respect the company a lot. Putting aside their pods or the 6 month+ expiry date on their consumer cans, Illy is *good* for espresso. No other company spends more on scientific research for espresso than Illy does. No other company makes *public* as much scientific data about espresso and coffee. Illy is the only Italian company I know of that not only talks about the importance of tamping, but proves it with scientific study.  I respect the good Dr., and I respect Andrea; in the world of coffee, these guys are in my top five most respected individuals, easy.

Fact: Illy's involvement in the world of art is not limited to charging big $$$ for their cups. In Italy, Europe and even in the US and other parts of the world, they are sponsors of of major art expositions and are especially involved in "new artist" ventures. In fact, many of the ultra-limited cup sets are often *only* available at these artist events, gallery openings, etc etc. You really should do your research before you make a comment like: "Illy is not a benefactor.The Medici's who funded Michi were the preeminent great citizens and patrons in their society. Illy are not. Illy is lining its jeans big time and it would be of interest to know how much of the proceeds actually end up in the artiste's pockets."

Fact: while you may want to hint at some kind of collusion or monetary/gift influence at what I write about Illy, you would be wrong. I would suggest you pick up Espresso: The Chemistry of Quality sometime and become enlightened. :)

Oh, and maybe do up a bit more reading on the Medicis. :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
billym

Posted Fri Jan 30, 2004, 5:00pm

A response of substance! The "vieled"(sic) implications are based in the respondents sensitivities and his obvious high regard for Illy. Our interests are elsewhere than impugning a highly respected and worthy individual who has consistently contributed to this site.

The fundamental issue, that of the need for a benefactor, a corporate robusto, who commissions an artist, and then transforms and distributes the art, (vs e.g. an artiste's litho limited edition, which the artiste produces and controls), for $$$$$, is still, after Mr. Prince's excellent discourse, a question mark, as is the artistes participation in the $$$$$.

True art  benefaction and patronage is to the benefit of Everyman and the artiste. High $$$$$ cup editions, whose affordability for everyday coffee "artists"( or geeks as would be called), is elitism,pure and simple and such promulgation, by a giant in the coffee business, for profit,  is......(you fill in the rest) .
showing page 2 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > illy "Gets It"...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254931926727)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+