Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
So you say there's a Guild?, BGA Files
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > So you say...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
terryz
terryz
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 2:18pm
Subject: Re: So you say there's a Guild? by Billy Wilson

xristrettox Said:

I just want to say that these are my opinions, and not the thoughts of Coffeegeek nor the Barista Guild.

Posted December 5, 2003 link

Hey I resemble that remark..........

Terry Z

Terry Z
 View Profile Link to this post
Drumlin72

Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 8:50pm

I hope that you did not think as my post as some sort of reprimand.  I am just really excited about the creation of the Barista Guild and didn't want us mid-westerners left out.  :D  It was more of a "Oooh, ooh, ooh, pick me!!!  PICK ME!!!"  Me likey, likey!!  Me want MORE!!

:0)

Kim
xristrettox
xristrettox

Posted Fri Dec 5, 2003, 10:06pm

Drumlin72 Said:

I hope that you did not think as my post as some sort of reprimand.  I am just really excited about the creation of the Barista Guild and didn't want us mid-westerners left out.  :D  It was more of a "Oooh, ooh, ooh, pick me!!!  PICK ME!!!"  Me likey, likey!!  Me want MORE!!

Posted December 5, 2003 link

Don't worry about it.  My post had nothing to do with that.  I was just trying to show that these were my just my thoughts on the matter...

Thanks.

billy wilson
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Deferio
Deferio
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GB5, Futuremat, Nuova,...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Compak, Grind...
Roaster: Alliance World Coffees
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2003, 11:39am

Thanks for the article Billy...ever since I saw the mention of this on the scaa bbs I was eager to learn more, officialy that is.
Maybe some one can get an east coast Barista Jam  organized in the near future, we need to organize. Quality coffee is kinda spread out over here.
By the way, do you happen to know when the SCAA will be taking applicants for the guild and how to go about it? Thanks again, and may your coffee be deep.

-Chris(who can't wait to help represent the east coast) Deferio

-May your coffee be deep-
duffy61
duffy61
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2003, 4:53pm

I am approaching my first full year as a barista, and I am excited about the prospect of the guild.

Is there any sort of a time line as to when things will be happening?

Jonathan.
Paul_Pratt
Paul_Pratt
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Marzocco SMAL + GS
Grinder: Vulcano
Drip: Pourover cone works best for...
Roaster: Probat
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2003, 9:54pm

Very interesting stuff Billy.

I can relate to the parts about salary and respect - these are two very important areas of being a professional in the coffee business.  The poor salary and low respect for baristi is  the driving force behind going from PBTC to POTC (person OWNING the counter!).  This may explain why people with a passion and a flair for coffee start out as a barista then set up their own business.  

I have the utmost respect for anyone that has the guts to start a business - but whether or not the wages get better as an owner is still open for debate :)
xristrettox
xristrettox

Posted Mon Dec 8, 2003, 12:29am

Deferio Said:

By the way, do you happen to know when the SCAA will be taking applicants for the guild and how to go about it?

Andy says

If you haven't previously provided us with your contact information, do so NOW!!

The Barista Guild of America has a conference call with the SCAA this coming Tuesday. We're hoping to have specific dates and information regarding BGA membership and our website at that time.

After that conference call, we will send out an email to those on our mailing list with a detailed update on the status of the BGA.

Thanks again for everyone's support!!

~Andy Cronin

You can contact him at: andyc@batdorf.com with:
Full Name
Name of cafe where working
City cafe is in
Your complete address
Your phone number
your email address

billy wilson
xristrettox
xristrettox

Posted Wed Dec 10, 2003, 1:19pm

It would be good if people involved in this conversation on Coffeegeek would read Heather's reply to the article, and comments about her involvment.

I figured it would be best to have both sides of the story.

Better sooner than later, but better later than not at all.

Thanx.

billy wilson
bordenwk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia & Reneka...
Grinder: Rancilio & Rossi
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Coffee press
Roaster: none
Posted Tue Jan 6, 2004, 8:18pm

I like the article and the BG concept.  I do not know the markup on espresso products, but I'm told it's substantial, which has allowed big coffee chains to flourish.  If this is true, would the public actually pay more for espresso to support the Guild, or should the costs be absorbed by the employers?
DJflite
DJflite
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 Semi-Auto,...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50, Krups Blade
Drip: Braun FlavorSelect KF187
Posted Sun Jan 18, 2004, 6:16am

To Mr. Wilson, To All:

I welcome the news of a nascent Barista Guild, and hope it can raise both consumer's, AND cafe owner's, awareness of the skill, training, and knowledge neccesary to be just more than a "button-pusher."  As a passionate barista who has been consistently frustrated--and unhired--by a string of new coffee shop and cafe owners who opt for inexperienced, inexpensive, counter help, I welcome any professional organization that would help increase knowledge about the barista's craft.  The people heading the development of this "next wave" seem to be good folks to get this project moving.  I support their efforts, and offer my assistance if desired.

I appreciate the reporting of this movement, and it seems others here agree.  I plan on attending (but unfortunately, I won't be able to participate) at least part of next weekend's Southeastern championships in the Ch'ill, and hopefully I'll meet some more of these fellow devotees in pursuit of the 'perfect cup' then.  In the meantime, if anyone here knows of a cafe that needs a passionate, energetic, affable, and coffee-obsessed barista in the Triad area, please feel free to pass on my contact info listed below.

Resume, of course, available upon request.

Thanks again, and here's to the next wave of espresso aficionados!

Sincerely,
Dahron Johnson

e:  email me
w:  click here
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > So you say...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26834487915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+