Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Editor's Choice Awards 2006 - Espresso by Mark Prince
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Editor's Choice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Dec 18, 2006, 12:00am
Subject: Editor's Choice Awards 2006 - Espresso by Mark Prince

Editor's Choice Awards 2006 - Espresso
by Mark Prince

As part of our celebration for five years on the Internet, CoffeeGeek is introducing our first ever Editor's Choice awards! Have a look at our top picks for anything and everything in espresso for 2006.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
julioale

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Dec 19, 2006, 9:55am
Subject: Re: Editor's Choice Awards 2006 - Espresso by Mark Prince

Excellent idea. just one question, the Izzo Alex was considered in the machines under the 1500?

ths

Julio
sriccio

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaz S1 Rossini
Grinder: KA Proline
Drip: Bodum FP, Cuisinart G&B
Posted Tue Dec 19, 2006, 2:13pm

Very nice, definitely enjoyed the summaries.  Would love to see some of the individual judging comments on the runners up too, but this is a great summary for newbies and classics alike.  Thanks.

Scott
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Dec 19, 2006, 3:09pm

sriccio Said:

Very nice, definitely enjoyed the summaries.  Would love to see some of the individual judging comments on the runners up too, but this is a great summary for newbies and classics alike.  Thanks.

Posted December 19, 2006 link

Hola Scott... the next podcast online should give you some more to chew on - I'll be discussing the runners' up and some other products that people felt should have been contenders.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
sriccio

Espresso: La Spaz S1 Rossini
Grinder: KA Proline
Drip: Bodum FP, Cuisinart G&B
Posted Tue Dec 19, 2006, 3:16pm

Nice, I'll be looking forward to the podcast then.  I think I better just make my final call BEFORE that comes or I'll have to go back into spinning OCD obsessession mode again and I just don't have the time or energy for another run!  

It's looking like I'll be going with a runner up (The BZ02) because I wanted (for family reasons) the programmable dosing buttons and I just couldn't find anything between that price point and the full $1500 ish range that gives you access to the Vibiemme Domobar Super, the La Val Auto, the Grimac Mia ELE, the La Scala Butterfly, Laranzato Casa, etc.  For good reason, I think, people just seem to hang onto them once they've got them and I couldn't pry any kind of deal out of anyone that would get me one of those latter group AND a top quality grinder for $1500, so the BZ will let me do that.  

At least I think it'll pay my entrance fee to geekdom, so I'm hopeful.  Haven't clicked 'checkout' yet, but I'm almost there.  

Thanks again for all the work on this site and others, it's an IMMENSE resource and an amazingly helpful and supportive community you've (along with a number of other great folks) helped create and continue.

Scott
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Wed Dec 20, 2006, 2:57am

Hey Mark,

Great minds obviously think alike; I picked out the tampers for us to stock at Veneziano and First Pour a while back ... coffeelab and espro all the way, baybee!

Steve from coffeelab is such a dude.  A few months ago I made a wishful comment about something to consider changing.  Opened up our last shipment and there was a prototype with the change!

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
ChrisC

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: PID Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky Doserless, modded
Vac Pot: $35 from Chinatown
Drip: Brewt
Posted Wed Dec 20, 2006, 9:10am

Awesome reviews, thanks Mark. I think I'm settled on the Espro for my tamper. I'm a noob, so not having to add a bathroom scale to the pile of equipment I'm building in the kitchen is worth it for me. That said, I'll be visiting my Mom for Christmas, and she lives about 15 minutes from Reg Barber's, so you never know...

If anyone has any info on where to buy or order a Europa pitcher in Canada, please let me know.

Oh, and I think the correct website for CoffeeLab is www.coffeelabdesign.com.

Thanks,
C
OnTheBean
OnTheBean

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless
Drip: aeropress
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Dec 20, 2006, 12:33pm

Hi Mark,

Are you able to post any links for distributors of the Scace Device?  I've been tempted for sometime, but the only price I've seen is $250.  I think I'd pull the trigger if I could find one in the price range you quote.  Thanks.

bret
julioale

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2006, 2:10pm

Scace Device at Espresso Part   http://www.espressoparts.com/product/EP-THERMOFILTER
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2006, 3:01pm

julioale Said:

Excellent idea. just one question, the Izzo Alex was considered in the machines under the 1500?

ths

Julio

Posted December 19, 2006 link

Hi Julio.

It wasn't a consideration, but only because I don't know anything about the product. I tried to limit the Editors' Choice awards this year to products I've either had some real use on, or knew enough about to justify (in my mind at least) the reasons for the picks.

Unfortunately, one individual has decided to seed some ideas elsewhere online that these spots are bought for "advertisements".

I just want to make it crystal clear that is not the case. The only consideration given on this listing is that, once the products were chosen objectively, and the list was set, when it came time to pick where to link to, I generally chose CG advertisers as the links. This was all done without the companies' prior knowledge or input. I finished writing this back in November, sent it off to our Content Editor for a polish, then put the article aside for publication on the 18th. In that time, I decided that, where products on the Holiday Gift List were also Editors' Choice, I would put the graphics up there on the HGL and inform the companies at that time about the award for their products. I asked them not to post the award graphics until the HGL was online.

Some of the winning products and vendors chosen still probably don't know about the awards. I haven't, for eg, told WLL or SeattelCoffeeGear about their choices for Machine under $500.  I didn't tell Intelly that Kid-O was picked as my blend of the year. I didn't tell Andrew Barnett his Northern Reserve was runner up.

I hope this clears things up. The Podcast, being recorded tonight (online tomorrow hopefully) will talk more about the choices and how they happened.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Editor's Choice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.308285951614)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+