Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Exploring Irish Coffee by Arthur Wynne
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Irish...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
caffiened
caffiened
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Nov 4, 2006, 1:00am
Subject: Exploring Irish Coffee by Arthur Wynne

Exploring Irish Coffee
by Arthur Wynne

Our resident mixologist and barista extraordinare, Arthur Wynne starts his new column with a Celtic bang - an in depth look at the coffee beverage synonymous with Ireland - the Irish Coffee... plus a bonus signature drink!
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Nov 4, 2006, 3:55am
Subject: Re: Exploring Irish Coffee by Arthur Wynne

Woot!

So glad to have Arthur on board, and this is one kick ass article to start it off - Arthur and I have been talking about his writing a regular column for CoffeeGeek since I first met him in Bern last May, and we always knew the first subject would be the one he took to the Coffee and Fine Spirits competition - the Irish Coffee. (by coincidence, there's also an excellent article about Irish Coffees in the current Imbibe Magazine which just came out.

I hope you'll all welcome Arthur into the fold - he has lots of interesting ideas for his future columns. And give feedback on this article if you can; Also, Arthur is up for hearing new suggestions for beverage ideas to explore.

The concept of this column is going to be an exploration of coffee as a culinary item - with spirits and liqueurs, in signature drinks, in inventive ways to present coffee. Each article will have some history in the development of the beverages.

Welcome Arthur! - I have my own request - how about a drink that can successfully combine carbonation (a la soda water or nitrogen) with coffee. So far, only one person I know has been able to do it semi-successfully - that's Jon Lewis, USBC 2005. I've been trying for years, and haven't been able to hit on something that doesn't taste like, well, Coke Blech (Blak).

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeehabit
coffeehabit
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Kony
Vac Pot: none
Roaster: manual 1k drum roaster
Posted Sat Nov 4, 2006, 1:11pm

Thanks Arthur for the great article.

The “Devil” drink is definitely my next step in coffee practice.

Espresso: speedster
Grinder: zassenhaus
Vac Pot: kono
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sat Nov 4, 2006, 4:46pm

thanks arthur and mark for an insightful article. i've been wondering how to make a correct irish coffee. just one question, i saw some bartender pour the whiskey into the glass and light it up first. they said, this way can help the cup to warm and get the nice aroma of jameson out more fully. what is your thought on this? thanks.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Horseshoot

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 Semiauto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Presspot (no Vac Pot)
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 1:48pm

Excellent article.  I enjoyed it a great deal.  Being from Irish stock, I have always been afraid to offer Irish coffee to my guests for fear that I wouldn't get it right.  Now I am ready to forge ahead!  Thanks.

As to lighting the whiskey, I would be worried that the alcohol would be burned off...  not that that is the entire reason for the drink or anything...  Just my opinion!
CoffeeMe
CoffeeMe

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 4:02pm

Brings back lots of memories of Buena Vista Café and San Francisco :-)  Great article!
SuperJ
SuperJ

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: starbucks barista burr
Drip: just a press
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 4:13pm

Fantastic article...
I always thought Irish Coffee consisted of coffee with a bit of Bailey's Irish Cream.  I see it is much more complex than that.

Thanks,
Josh
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 6:19pm

Great article!

Americano Irish Coffee is a wonderful idea.  I've seen it offered at some restaurants but haven't had the pleasure of trying it.

I'm on my second single shot Americano with fresh sweetened whip cream and a nip of Ardbeg 10 year old.  My preference is single malt Scotch and the smoky sweet peat of the Islay malt really tastes very good in the mix.  This is probably going to be a house favourite after dinner offering for company.  Very good timing:  just right for Christmas.

Thanks again.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
caffiened
caffiened
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 10:42pm

when lighting up the spirit you have a tendency to burn off the alcohol; pre-heating the glass with boiling water does the same thing and it keeps its alcohol content for that special kick to warm you up.

Your take on the original recipe with various little twists of your own will make it more personal when serving it to friends, it all comes down to trial and error when coming up with your own sig drink, and the fun part is drinking it. Make sure you write the recipe down so you can replicate it anywhere for consistency.
rcs914
rcs914

Espresso: Expobar OC, PID'd Silvia
Grinder: Lux & Cimbali Jr
Vac Pot: E-santos,Santos, Hario
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Turbo Crazy
Posted Mon Nov 6, 2006, 4:03am

I'll definitely have to try this!  The brewed (press or vac) coffee is likely much easier for making Irish Coffee for a group, but I imagine if making it for just 2 or so, an Americano would be even better.

My only other thought be be lightly sweetening the cream, but I'd have to make it both ways to see which I prefer.

Thanks for the great article!  I'm really looking forward to other coffee/spirit concoctions.  I think a coffee/dark rum combination has a lot of room for experimentation as well.

Chris

Please remember CoffeeKids throughout the year:  www.coffeekids.org
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Exploring Irish...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330183982849)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+