Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Newbie or Not Newbie: That is the Question, Newbie Revelations
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Newbie or Not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
tommylb2

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jul 13, 2006, 6:10pm
Subject: Re: Newbie or Not Newbie: That is the Question, Newbie Revelations

Reading this artical was my first taste and now I am hook.It was a fun and very entertaining read.I am now a proud member of the CoffeeGeek website.I have tried to inform and educate others about coffee. It is to be enjoyed and not to be just used as something to wake you up in the morning.I have tried to tell them that coffee is much like a very fine wine with many tastes,aromas and nuances.Coffee comes in more than one favor. That light roast has more caffeine than dark roast because the coffee beans are roasted longer in a dark roast and French Roast is not where it is grown ,but how it is roasted.I do not try much anymore, it is their own sad loss. Yes I love coffee , and if Karl is a newbie, I would have liked to tagged along with him.He in all honesty could not be considered as such. At the very least, he is not the one of those poor, poor souls that are out there thinking that coffee is something you buy at Mc Donald's. Enjoy Your coffee ladies and gents! I am looking forward to learning more about the wonderful coffee bean and how to enjoy it.

Tommy

P.S. I thought I could smell the coffee beans as I read this.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
TNichols
TNichols
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Hot Top
Posted Sun Jul 23, 2006, 7:35pm

Loved your story.  I tried to write a review about my Quick Mill Andreja and found it harder than it looks, even after reading many other reviews.  I found your title interesting because I have often wondered just how much knowledge you had to have to graduate out of the "newbie" state.  

I've read some forums and come to the conclusion that I know nothing about coffee.  Then I'll read an article by someone who professes to be an expert and I disagree with his opinions.  However, there is one common bond amoung us all -- the love of a good cup of java.  (Even if we don't all agree on exactly what makes that cup so good)

Thanks for a great story.

TNichols
 View Profile Link to this post
chileman

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Capresso ST600, Swissgold...
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Tue Aug 1, 2006, 2:01pm

Very nice article, a great read.  Hope to see another from you.  Thanks
beauraines

Espresso: Capresso C1000
Drip: Cuisinart Automatic Grind...
Posted Sun Nov 5, 2006, 1:07pm

This was a very entertaining read.  I enjoyed the writing style and the subjects.
I'm looking forward to your next posting!
crstrode
crstrode

Posted Fri Dec 1, 2006, 8:59pm

I am the newest of newbies - at least here at CG.

This story is a great one, that sounds as if I was the author . . . asuming of course that I actually had a whit of writing talent.  As a control systems engineer myself, the first things that came to mind is "what can be so difficult about designing a decent proportional controller for a coffee cooker"?!

I think I'll make one and become a millionaire.  Wish me luck.

This being the very first CG article that I have consumed, my rating of an 8 may not be accurate.  All of the remaining stories and articles yet to come had better measure up, or I'll revise my vote to 10.0.
xtophr
xtophr
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, PID
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Doserless
Posted Sat Jan 12, 2008, 4:38pm

I have read the great article by Karl and thoroughly enjoyed it.  His intrest in the technical aspects of coffee-geekdom mirror my own and made the read especially enjoyable.

I have pondered the whole "Newby thing" and when one might actually be considered a "Coffee Pro", but I have concluded that, like all other intrests, one can never stop learning about their subject.  Ceasing to learn is probably tantamount to loosing intrest.  I'm always amazed at the numerous occasions that I strike up a conversation with a so-called barista at a coffeehouse or hut about the craft, they seem to know less than I do about it.  They then usually ask for which roaster or espresso equipment service bureau I work for!  I still consider myself a noob, but this made me consider that one's level can probably be ascertained by gauging from other coffee enthusiasts the exchange of ideas, etc.

But I gotta ask:  What exactly were the mods for the "pimped-out" LaMarzocco blue l.e.d. install?  Was the picture in the article of the Linea the said machine?  I think that I see reflections of blue light in the groups, but I'm not sure...
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Newbie or Not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.184423923492)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+