Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
WBC 2006 Finals Report, Road Reports
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > WBC 2006 Finals...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Jul 24, 2006, 12:00am
Subject: WBC 2006 Finals Report, Road Reports

WBC 2006 Finals Report
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Mark Prince provides an indepth look at the WBC Finals, including detailed analysis of each Barista's final performance and interviews with the competitors.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dude
dude

Espresso: Linea- 1 Group
Grinder: Mazzer Normale
Roaster: Probat BRZ-2
Posted Thu Jul 27, 2006, 11:29am
Subject: Re: WBC 2006 Finals Report, Road Reports

Congratulations to all the participants...Rock on!

www.thirdwavecoffee.net
TheDane
TheDane
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra SemiAutomatica
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Former I-Roast
Posted Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:14am

Excellent article, Mark! Great work as usual and worth the wait. Intrigued to read the next part!

BR, Mads
 View Profile Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sat Jul 29, 2006, 11:27am

I was intrigued by the new wave, "El Bulli" style of the signature drinks ...

(El Bulli is a Barcelona/Cost Brava restaurant consistently voted best in the world by foodies in the last ten years or so. The chef and resident mad-genius, Ferran Adria, is famous for introducing foams, gels, inkjet printed sauces and other hi-tech and food processing ideas into gourmet dining. His other trademark is "deconstructed" dishes, where normally mixed ingredients are presented separately in art gallery mode)

... I have my doubts about where this trend is heading for food, and I'm particularly doubtful when it comes to espresso based signature drinks. Many of the preparations sound more like desserts or meditation aids than like drinks; and it's getting very far away indeed from items that could eventually be served at cafes.

However, these things always inspire more practical innovations by indirect routes; so perhaps something will come of it. I would be interested, though, if other observers at the WBC or national championships think the sigs are getting out of hand.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
kingseven

Espresso: Black Eagle, Hydra,...
Grinder: Mythos One, Some EKs, Anfm,...
Vac Pot: Hario stuff
Drip: Many things
Roaster: Probat UG15, GW Barth 35kg,...
Posted Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:40pm

Great article, though I when it comes to part two I don't think I would have been able to hold back on a few things.... but that you know.

As for the point about the El Bulli style sig drinks - I feel somewhat in the crosshairs on this one - then my explanation is simple.

It's called a signature drink and a signature should be unique to you and hold something of your character in it.  The part of me that was in that drink was a genuine passion for the chemistry of food and taste mixed with a belief that these things need a sense of humour too.  I wanted to do something visually striking, that might delight someone as hopefully they had never, ever seen anything similar before. (I am fairly sure they haven't)

I have already started putting work into next year's drink, and the approach will be similar (get to grips with the chemistry of it all) though I have had to ditch one idea already as the cost of development looked set to spiral into the thousands!

Coffee is complex, and to the massive range of its flavour chemistry entices me with the idea of hundreds of different flavour marriages and combinations.  There were many different styles of signature drinks on show in Bern, and I think all of those that made the final were very different and rightly reflected the characters of the baristas creating them.

www.jimseven.com
www.squaremileblog.com
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sat Jul 29, 2006, 1:43pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the response, and congratualtions on your performance.

I think everyone who loves food and drink has been inspired by Adria, at least in so far as not to turn their noses up on food processing techniques, but to see their potential in "per espress" preparations. I've got a PID on my slow cooker now for sous vide, as well as a set of emulsifiers, surfactants, gel on heating compounds, etc. that have me scratching my head as I attempt to master their possibilities. Also part of what I was saying is just the old-fogey in me, concerned that all my hard won technique will be about as useful as carriage making in a few years.

A good barista will always want to stretch the boundaries of their art. I would be cheering at the top of my voice if the stretching came in the form of techniques to prepare shots from the very high grown acidic coffees that capture or exceed their taste in the cup. SO technique has a long way to go before it gets to this point.

My main concern is almost philosophical: There's a lot of people who think that in food and drink, the greatness is in the growing plant or moving animal. Mastery of all the steps of getting it prepared and on the plate or in the cup lies in not destroying any of those flavors, but rather bringing them out. Obviously, understanding the science will always help. The technology too may serve this purpose and open up entirely new vistas.

But at what point does the artifice used to bring out the flavors in the food turn into artificiality? I certainly don't know; but I think that as one masters this new art, it's a dividing line worth keeping in mind.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
kingseven

Espresso: Black Eagle, Hydra,...
Grinder: Mythos One, Some EKs, Anfm,...
Vac Pot: Hario stuff
Drip: Many things
Roaster: Probat UG15, GW Barth 35kg,...
Posted Sat Jul 29, 2006, 4:43pm

What gel on heating compounds you using?  Wiley at WD-50 in New York is doing a rather clever fried egg a like - same look and texture but using sweet coconut for the white and something else for the yolk (wish I could remember what, but is sounded so very tasty).

He is using a rather interesting compound, and I used a similar variant as the secret foaming agent in the mousse in my sig drink.

And as for growing the food - you are completely right.  My tag line will always be "a barista is only as good as their coffee", and I see more potential in growing and processing for new and exciting flavours, and the science having the potential for interesting, respectful, and thought provoking delivery and display.

I must say I know very little about El Bulli, and I must credit all my learning and access to my friends at the Fat Duck here in the UK.

www.jimseven.com
www.squaremileblog.com
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS at shop, nothing at home
Grinder: NS MDX, NS MCF (home), Bunn...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600, FR-8, Popper,...
Posted Tue Aug 22, 2006, 12:37pm

I thoroughly enjoyed the article.  I have been intrigued by the WBC for a while, but never really had an inside look into them until this article.  Congratulations to all the participants, and can't wait for next year!

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
haras

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Giotto
Grinder: mini nouva simonelli/...
Drip: French Press/ Melitta
Roaster: Caffe Darte
Posted Wed Oct 4, 2006, 9:25pm

This is my second possibly third time referencing this article.  Thank you so much for the detail. Again, felt like I was in the room- holding my breath.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > WBC 2006 Finals...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314550161362)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+