Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Robusta's Rehab, The Cafe Stage
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Robusta's Rehab,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
european

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 10:03am
Subject: Re: Robusta's Rehab, The Cafe Stage

pstam Said:

Since ORO means GOLD, it is used by many Italian roasters for their top blends.

Posted February 4, 2006 link

Indeed it is, there's actually an inofficial coupling of colors with blend.

Red (Rosso) normally means 100% arabica
Gold (Oro) is normall around 90% arabica

There are also some roasters using the colors black/orange/blue/pink for coffees with a lower grade of arabica 50-70%, but these are not as diffused and can differ somewhat.
 View Profile Link to this post
TopoTail

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Melita (for camping trips)
Roaster: Haven't gone there
Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 11:44pm

counting Said:

What's that about?

Posted February 8, 2006 link

I thought it was a curious statement when Alves made it, and  I thought to myself, "So, what about the Italians who drink multiple robusta-laden shots a day." But that's what he said, so I wrote it down and reported it.

Thanks to all who have commented favorably on the article. It was fun to write because, as I said at the outset, everyone had such strong opinions.

--Richard
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Thu Feb 9, 2006, 12:44am

TopoTail Said:

I thought it was a curious statement when Alves made it, and  I thought to myself, "So, what about the Italians who drink multiple robusta-laden shots a day." But that's what he said, so I wrote it down and reported it.

Thanks to all who have commented favorably on the article. It was fun to write because, as I said at the outset, everyone had such strong opinions.

Posted February 8, 2006 link

Hi Richard,

It is nice to talk to you directly herein this forum.

You are absolutely right.  No coffee can make people satisfied for a whole day.  Even if they are OK for caffeine for a whole day, they would prefer to have more espresso just for its nice tastes.  On the other hand, the influence of caffeine is known for 1-2 hours only.  Even if I had more than ten cups for adjusting the machine in a short time, I should need more after few hours.  That is quite normal.

What you thought was just natural and reasonable.  In fact, Italians know that more coffee in a time does not make too much sense.  When I was in Italy, twenty years ago, they had almost only espresso, never heard about ristretto neither espresso doppio.  One shot is enough in most cases.  Otherwise, they may order for another one.  But not doppio and ristretto.

We are promoting the blends of Caffe Molinari in China, and like the most ORO blend, more than 5 star.  It tastes so great, and also loved by most of our clients.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
DASIMPS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Drip: Braun
Posted Sat Feb 11, 2006, 3:41pm

I really appreciated this article for its combination of history and issues in the current debate.  While there are more important things in life than whether or not one uses Robusta in their espresso roast, this article does give some insight as to why one may want to use (or avoid) Robusta in their blend.

My experience with Robusta has come full circle.  I had always thought that only the worst of canned, ground coffee (a la Blue Max) contained any (or all) Robusta.  However, I was shocked to find Robusta in Arezzo, Italy.  I went to visit a local coffee roaster who specialized in home and office delivery of freshly roasted coffee in the Tuscany region.  They use Robusta in each of their blends.  I was completely surprised, expecting my Italian counterparts to be superior to the US in their grasp of espresso quality, and I thought, “Don’t they know that Robusta is completely inferior to Arabica?”  This was based on my experience of finding consistently good espresso in every small corner store in Italy.  The only bad espresso I had while in Italy was the one I had at the airport!  In the US, I am hard pressed to find a local cafe with an owner who is really committed to quality espresso.

Once I got back to the US, my own experience with making espresso started to expand.  I started with the Moka on my stovetop, topped by hand whisked heated milk.  While my biceps were getting their workout, my tongue longed for a better cup.  Seeing my dedication, my wife conspired with a friend and bought me a La Pavoni Professional espresso machine for my birthday.  Once I had received this, I had reached a whole new level, but then a hunt ensued for beans that were fresh, tasty, and reasonably priced.

So I turned to the internet to find some local roasters.  For a while I purchased beans from Java Jane’s in Billerica, MA, a local coffee shop.  I had been to Copa Cafe in Lexington (George Howell), so I ordered coffee from Terroir at $13.45/12 oz.  While I appreciated the extent to which George is pursuing freshness, the coffee was not to my taste, being too fruity for my liking, not to mention expensive.  I then tried a number of coffees from Dean's Beans, Orange MA.  These were reasonably priced at $6.75/lb. I did my own coffee tasting, ranking 8 of their coffees for Crema, Strength, and Flavor.  Out of all of these beans, Berkeley Shark Bite was my favorite, scoring 13/15.  I have gone on to try other coffees, but this one is still my favorite.  

A few months later I was surprised to find out that this coffee contained Robusta.  Its description goes like this, "A snappin' blend of dark-roasted Sumatran Robusta and Ethiopian formulated for our West Coast friends."  Again, Robusta surprises!
 View Profile Link to this post
sleeplessjake
sleeplessjake
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Good ol' Rocky
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2006, 3:19pm

If you're really serious (or geeky) about coffee species, you can check this out:

Coffee species at the National Institutes of Health.

-Jake

Devices can be made foolproof, but not damn-foolproof.
Want a good laugh? http://rorschachlatteart.blogspot.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Robusta's Rehab,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229164123535)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+