Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Robusta's Rehab, The Cafe Stage
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Robusta's Rehab,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 2:17am
Subject: Re: Robusta's Rehab, The Cafe Stage

pstam Said:

I know Caffe Molinari had a new blend for 100% arabica beans, and we just made a new order from them.  As our experience and knowledge, we do not even want to try it.  The best is still ORO blend, for all espresso and espresso based coffee drinks. ....

Posted February 3, 2006 link

And I'll still say to you Peter, out of all the Italian blended coffees I've tried in the last five years, Oro was the absolute worst I've tried. IMO, it was completely unpalatable, on par with the dregs produced by instants and complete robusta blends.

I've also had varieties of Caffe Molinari, and IMO, it is much better than Oro, but as far as all Italian produced blends, about middle of the road.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 3:45am

MarkPrince Said:

And I'll still say to you Peter, out of all the Italian blended coffees I've tried in the last five years, Oro was the absolute worst I've tried. IMO, it was completely unpalatable, on par with the dregs produced by instants and complete robusta blends.

I've also had varieties of Caffe Molinari, and IMO, it is much better than Oro, but as far as all Italian produced blends, about middle of the road.

Posted February 4, 2006 link

It is reasonable for you not familiar to the blends of Caffe Molinari, so I would point it out that ORO and 5 STAR are both 80% arabica and 20% robusta, while for others, ESPRESSO and CLASSICO blends have more robusta coffee inside.  Those are four traditional blends, by Caffe Molinari.

According to the colour of the packages, as recognized by all Italian roasters, one can see that it can be a top one among all those blends.  ORO means GOLD in Italian language.

Years ago, when we compare those all blends, we were a little worried about the too strong tastes, so we chose the top two, 5 STAR and ORO coffee blends.  After years, and the Chinese market is growing and becomes knowledgable to the Italian espresso, we shall taste again the other two blends, to see if they can be better in some way.  But before we try them, we cannot get any conclusion from such a supposed situation only.  Anyway, we shall see.

I do not know why you have such a strange comments about ORO blend.  I can only say that it is a pitty to hear it.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 4:00am

What is the best espresso blend in Italy?  It is a very typical, or hard question to talk about.

During our training for our baristas, there are always someone asking such a question.  But, what I can do is asking them another question so that they can understand why this question can be almost no answer at all.

My question does work only for Chinese people.  For other people, I have to find another one.  Let me try, but it may not be so successful at the beginning.  Let me see ...

Who can make the best Frech bread, in France?  Not a nation, not all people from some area, but a single person, or a single restaurant.

What I mean here is that such a thing so popular that you can find good one and bad one, and also normal one.  But you never find a specific one which can be better than anyone else for all the people, whether in or out of that area.

Is it successful?  I am not sure.  But I hope that someone can see my points.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 4:15am

pstam Said:

I do not know why you have such a strange comments about ORO blend.  I can only say that it is a pitty to hear it.

First, I want to be clear about which ORO brand you're talking about here. I was always under the impression that you used Miscela D'Oro coffee. This is the coffee I refer to as being some of the worst blends I've ever tasted coming out of Italy.

For Caffe Molinari, the only samples I've ever tried were their Classico and Espresso Blend. I did not know they also had a line called Oro.

The Classico and Espresso blends were okay when fresh (both my samples were claimed less than a week old), actually fairly good - what I'd call a middle of the road espresso blend.

If you've been talking about Molinari's Oro blend, then my apologies for the comments. I have not tasted it, and would be interested in trying a sample that is within 10 days off the roast. Anything has to be better than Miscela D'oro.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 4:23am

MarkPrince Said:

I think there's thirteen or fourteen identified, in the coffea species.

As to my memory, it was about 30-40 species.

MarkPrince Said:

Arabica and robusta are widely used in brewing coffee; liberica is another subgenus (proper term?) that has been experimented with.

For brewing coffee, one with arabica is recognized as good, and the one with robusta is not so good, same for liberica, which is not commonly used after people starting to promote the specialty coffee for its lower quality, as I was told.

Even for the brewing coffee, like in Germany, they blend the arabica and robusta (many from Uganda) for stronger taste.

MarkPrince Said:

Some other coffea species names I remember off the top of my head:

Canephora  (this is the robusta coffee)

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
pstam
pstam

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2006, 4:36am

MarkPrince Said:

First, I want to be clear about which ORO brand you're talking about here. I was always under the impression that you used Miscela D'Oro coffee. This is the coffee I refer to as being some of the worst blends I've ever tasted coming out of Italy.

Hi Mark,

What we call ORO is from Caffe Molinari, not the one (Miscela D'Oro) you mensioned above.

Since ORO means GOLD, it is used by many Italian roasters for their top blends.

ORO COFFEE BLEND, of Caffe Molinari

pstam: oro_bar.gif

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
AlMac

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno, Quaha...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Lux
Posted Sun Feb 5, 2006, 10:23pm

pstam Said:

As to my memory, it was about 30-40 species.

10 species:

Coffea arabica- Arabica Coffee
Coffea benghalensis- Bengal coffee
Coffea canephora- Robusta coffee
Coffea congensis- Congo coffee
Coffea excelsa- Liberian coffee
Coffea gallienii
Coffea bonnieri
Coffea mogeneti
Coffea liberica- Liberian coffee
Coffea stenophylla- Sierra Leonian coffee

30-40 might be getting into sub-species.
 View Profile Link to this post
chrisfires
chrisfires
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Livietta T-2
Grinder: Innova Conical Burr...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam c-30
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTEAM Thermo...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 6, 2006, 8:58am

Great article, with balanced coverage of the arabica/robusta question. Have definitely had bad personal experiences with robusta and the branded blends that use it, but this has inspired me to try again with some of the softer robustas in my own blending experiments. I've often thought there had to be a good use for some of the qualities of robusta, especially after enjoying memorable espressos at some Italian owned fine (5 star) restaurants where they use a custom house blend of beans. My attempts to replicate were always dismal - and those results led me to believe that all robusta was simply evil. This re-opened my mind to the possibilities, and off I go to look for some kinder gentler robustas that will work and play well with their arabica friends!

As always -  a big thank you to CG for yet another well-written and informative article, and kudos to the author, Richard Reynolds. You guys rock my world :)

Christina G
counting

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 3:46am

Alves also argues that a café owner who uses a robusta blend is acting against his or her own self-interest. When one drinks an all-arabica espresso, he says, "Your body will ask you for more in a couple of hours," while an espresso containing robusta will satisfy the customer for the rest of the day.

What's that about?
 View Profile Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Wed Feb 8, 2006, 4:29am

counting Said:

What's that about?

Posted February 8, 2006 link

I understand it like this.

Since the espresso made of the blend with robusta beans may make clients satisfied bor the whole day, and therefore they won't need and order for another one in that day.  So, the owners of the coffee shops will not like it.  While for espresso made of 100% arabica blends can only satisfy the clients for few hours, they will soon need another and another shot.  It is good for their business.

But, I cannot believe it as a reasonable theory for business.  It can only be a thought, never practical meaning, I suppose.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Robusta's Rehab,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.366518974304)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+