Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Reaching Espresso Nirvana by Mark Prince
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Reaching...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Steam

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Posted Wed Feb 1, 2006, 10:48am
Subject: Re: Reaching Espresso Nirvana by Mark Prince

Because of the variable quality of water why not use distilled water. This would then be the standard. Or, is there a reason not to use distilled water?

Steam
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Feb 1, 2006, 2:50pm

Steam Said:

Because of the variable quality of water why not use distilled water. This would then be the standard. Or, is there a reason not to use distilled water?

Steam

Posted February 1, 2006 link

In most cases, distilled water should not be used regularly in an espresso machine. On top of being chemically neutral (read: dead, zero taste), the lack of minerals and solids in the water will cause many "auto fill" systems to stop functioning. They rely partially on the mineral content in normal water to function.

Distilled water has, well, nothing. It's just the basic water chemical. No minerals, no solids. These things contribute greatly to the taste of espresso - both good and bad.

How do you test water? Your taste buds. If it tastes clean, fresh, pleasing, it's good for espresso.

If it tastes chemically, stinky, whatever, it's not.

If it tastes like.... well, nothing. then your espresso is going to suffer.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Thu Feb 2, 2006, 6:14am

MarkPrince Said:

How do you test water? Your taste buds. If it tastes clean, fresh, pleasing, it's good for espresso.

Posted February 1, 2006 link

Well... Is there, as for beer brewing, a way to control water profiles a bit more? Isn't there more to the influence of water than whether or not the water is appropriate for espresso making?
With beer, we mostly control hardness (permanent hardness especially) and pH in order to achieve specific results. The effect of pH is on the actual mash, as the extraction of sugars depends on an appropriate pH. As for hardness, it varies with beer styles. To simplify, soft water produces smooth bitterness (Plzen water for Pilsner beer) while hard water will produce harsh bitterness (Burton-on-Trent water for Bass). There could be the same issue with espresso making, although the chemical processes are so much faster than in beer brewing.
Anyone experimented with water profiles?

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
EEDJM

Posted Wed Feb 15, 2006, 1:16am

Good article ... I think one of my goals in life will be to search for my perfect cup. This article gives me some fuel for thought. Thanx!
Nawakwa1

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2006, 2:19am
Subject: What brand is the tamper on Reaching Espresso Nirvana ?

Hello Mark,

In your article on Espresso Nirvana there is a photo of a stainless steel Tamper and a stand.

I am trying to find out the brand of that Tamper. I had recently come across it on a website but can't seem to find it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
Gobs
Gobs

Posted Tue Feb 21, 2006, 2:31am
Subject: Re: What brand is the tamper on Reaching Espresso Nirvana ?

Nawakwa1 Said:

Hello Mark,

In your article on Espresso Nirvana there is a photo of a stainless steel Tamper and a stand.

I am trying to find out the brand of that Tamper. I had recently come across it on a website but can't seem to find it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

Posted February 21, 2006 link

Hi Greg,

Although I am not Mark, I just saw your post and wanted to share the info with you. The tamper and stand is by espressocraft click here If you do get one, please let me know what you think of it. I want one too. Thanks.

Regards,
Gobs

"I never discovered anything with my rational mind."
- Albert Einstein
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 2:39pm
Subject: Time to Brew?

Erm... This is perhaps a silly question but how do we time espresso making? Meaning, is it supposed to be 20 to 25 seconds from the time the brew button is turned on to the time it's turned off? Is it from the time the first drops of espresso nectar hit the bottom of the cup until the last drop of espresso goodness reaches the top of the crema?
And is there a rundown of the values we're talking about, here?
There's apparently been some discussion of dosing, with some people advocating for doses of upwards to 21g and others advocating for as low as 14g. Obviously, this is supposed to depend on a lot of factors, including the blend used.
Erm... We're talking doubles, right? And what are the other parameters we're talking about?
My entry level Via Veneto has been producing consistently decent shots with a maximum of 18g of grounds in the basket. Getting around 65g of espresso (don't have a reliable measure for volume, but that should be about 2 fl. oz.) in 25 to 30 seconds, including 6 or 7 seconds between the time the brew button is pressed until the first drop of dark espresso comes out of the brewgroup. The resulting espresso usually has a thick, rich, dark, and complex crema, especially if the blend used includes a good diversity of beans (for some reasons, it seems like beans homeroasted in the brown range produce more crema, but that's probably just perception). Does this sound about right?
What should be values for a single? Saw some info about this somewhere but can't recall the exact numbers.
What about a ristretto? Should be the exact same amount of grounds as a double? How long should it take to brew?
It's difficult to experiment much with an entry-level machine. The resulting espresso is really quite pleasing, though.

Coffee is good to think!

Cheers!

Alexandre
http://enkerli.wordpress.com/

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Reighlok
Reighlok
Posted Wed Feb 22, 2006, 2:43pm
Subject: Re: Time to Brew?

Enkerli Said:

Erm... This is perhaps a silly question but how do we time espresso making? Meaning, is it supposed to be 20 to 25 seconds from the time the brew button is turned on to the time it's turned off? Is it from the time the first drops of espresso nectar hit the bottom of the cup until the last drop of espresso goodness reaches the top of the crema?

Posted February 22, 2006 link

It may be a dumb question, but I would like to know too. I've been timing from "on", but I have no idea if it is right.
Deebee70

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Mar 1, 2006, 3:26pm

Well done! I wholeheartedly agree...Espresso making is an art, not a science.
cafeprune
cafeprune

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 1992
Grinder: Rocky and Zassenhaus
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Mar 1, 2006, 3:49pm

I believe it should be timed from the moment you switch the pump on, as this is when the water first enters the basket.

However, being a rookie,  I stand to be corrected.....
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Reaching...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290728092194)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+