Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Why I Hate Home Espresso; Why I Love Julie by Aaron De Lazzer
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why I Hate Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
Kristi
Kristi
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evo w silvia wand
Grinder: Macap M4 mod to d&s-less
Roaster: (Jeff at Redbirdcoffee)
Posted Tue Oct 25, 2005, 10:52am
Subject: Re: Curious...

MarkPrince Said:

It's curious that no one's really commented on the second part of Aaron's article, where in part he says:

"Try it, taste it and see what you think.

Taste those initial drips, those initial brush strokes of the espresso on the white porcelain of the cup. They'll slap you in the butt, guaranteed. Now some of you reading might actually like this, but others... not so much."

When talking about Julie's "Stall before the Waterfall" technique.

As a side note, when Aaron first mentioned this brewing method to me a few years back, I started doing it, and now I do it on almost every shot, except those I photograph.

Posted July 29, 2003 link

I read this article about a week or two ago.  Yep!  Loved it!  "Try it and taste what you think"!  To me, that's what it's all about...   "Stall before the waterfall" (that's where I got the idea), and I've tasted those first few dribbles, and, YES, they do wake you up!!!

Great article!!!
Kristi

#--> I recommend Eric Svendson's adapter and thermometer for E61s (also Silvia) : easy surfing!
# My photo albums have moved to     http://picasaweb.google.com/krislema2
 View Profile Link to this post
ExiledHQ

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Apr 6, 2006, 8:41am
Subject: Re: Why I Hate Home Espresso; Why I Love Julie by Aaron De Lazzer

well this thread seems long dead but i will make an attempt to revive it. me being a melbournian i will have to disagree with some and say coffee is generally mediocre in melbourne these days. its just that every canteen, cafe, bar, pub, kiosk, coke red engine etc tries to cash in on the coffee industry and most places end up being mediocre.

it just so happens that when you do find a real barista who spends his time trying to further learn more about espresso the coffee experience is absolutely brilliant.

so to summarise it all up, if i could make up a figure, 9/10 coffee houses are substandard, the remaning 1/10 could be so good that it doesn't matter that the previous 9 cups of coffee you consumed were abysmal
Marc_W_Hoover
Marc_W_Hoover
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Anita by Quickmill
Grinder: mazzer mini
Drip: braun
Roaster: SC/TO
Posted Mon May 1, 2006, 9:05pm

Who needs to go out and be social when i can spend hours following a thread like this one?  As much as I would enjoy sitting across from a cute woman on a brisk Autumn day, with the sun shining in on her undone knit scarf like magic, it would be  difficult for me to rally my wife to allow me to indulge in such pleasures. Especially considering the amount of last months budget i threw torwards an upgrade.

On days when my work schedule permits, i really derive a great deal of satisfaction walking into the local cafe and working the crossword puzzle. I am cordial with the owner, but try not to initiate much socially, for fear that i'll let slip my feelings about her horrid espresso. Nice girl and all, but if she reccomends the 'flavor of the day' to me one more time, my head will explode all over the canvas of a local painter.

The truth is, for me, until the local cafes allow me to come behind the counter with my 3 year old, and permit me to prop him up beside the machine to watch his father explain the process, i'm better suited to do it at home.  Now this might not seem quite as 'romantic' as sharing time with a gorgeous 'flat belly,' but i am proud to play a more nurturing role in the development of tomarrows cafe crowd. A crowd that might have within it, his future wife.

I suppose that in Europe, their exists centuries of tradition that could possibly be replicated here in North America in due time, assuming that all of our cities are not nuked before then. I think that, generally, people  in America work longer hours, and as a result, are forced to adapt their lives in such a fashion that makes a home set-up more practical. The fact is, the various opinions are a direct reflection of the various minds that have developed those opinions.

I do occasionally meet a friend at a cafe. We typically just discuss whatever falls out of our mouths. It is very entertaining to both of us, because, politically, we are in different solar systems. So getting together reminds us that you can get along with just about anyone, so long as they are not attempting to murder you. The same could be said about all of us here.

as ever
bohemianroast

Formerly Bohemianroast
whfite
whfite
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vetrano Rotary
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: pre-WWII Silex
Drip: Technivorm KD741
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Mon May 22, 2006, 12:11pm

A great article.  As a newcomer to CG, I have so many of these older pieces to catch up on that I haven't noted any "lack of content" yet.  Keep making those (ed.) comments, Mark.  

As much as I love my home equipment (which, finally, is relatively decent) I still enjoy going out, even if the quality is not so great.  Aaron captures the social aspect of coffee drinking perfectly.  One of the things I miss most now that I'm no longer living in Boston is the pure sensual pleasure of hiking through the blowing snow to get to my fave coffeehouse and then walking into the warm room with its heavenly aroma, battered furniture, and familiar faces.

As to those whose poor, dear palates just cannot tolerate anything other than what they pull for themselves, well....I have friends who pay more than $1000 per meter for audio interconnect cables.  Don't ridicule these folks; feel sorry for them.
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why I Hate Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216383934021)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+