Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Why I like Bodum by Mark Prince
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why I like Bodum...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Why I like Bodum by Mark Prince

Why I like Bodum
by Mark Prince

Mark Prince gets a bit mushy with his current column and details the effect that Bodum had on his coffee progression.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CigarLord

Expertise: Advanced

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Delongi
Drip: Bunn
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2002, 8:00am
Subject: Great Article

Excellent! I totally agree with everything you wrote in this article. This is exactly how I feel about my own coffee experiences.
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2002, 1:27am
Subject: Re: Great Article

Excellent article Mark!! I started out with a Bodum French Press too.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2002, 1:55am
Subject: Re: Great Article

Excellent article Mark!! I started out with a Bodum French Press too.

Hey thanks guys - CigarLord and Craig. I've wanted to write this article since we launched this site, but it took a long time to actually "flesh it out" and write it. The article's about 3 months old now, and has been through several revisions :)
pbhughes

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Breville tower
Vac Pot: yama/hario (tech 3 cup)
Drip: No, but press and Aeropress.
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2002, 11:00pm
Subject: Great writing; great stories

Wow -- didn't know who wrote this til I got to the end of the article.  After many moons of using a bodum press pot, I'm about to embark on the Silvia route like Mark did. His (coffeekid) site has given me hours of enjoyment and much needed guidance. Glad --and encouraged-- to see that I'm following in his coffee experience footsteps so closely and that we share similar sediments (ha) for all things bodum.
texmcfaden
texmcfaden
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Krups
Grinder: Euroware
Drip: Krups
Posted Sat Jun 5, 2004, 8:44pm
Subject: Re: Why I like Bodum by Mark Prince

I read the article and enjoyed it for what the title told me it was about... why the author likes Bodum. I came to this article after reaching his article on How to Press, which had a link to this article. Curious about coffee products, I read the articles and searched the Bodum online shopping website. I was pleased to find excellent values for the money with good details on almost all the products. The best news was finding out that there is a Bodum store just down the road from me... a rare thing as far as I can tell.

One reader responded that the article was too mushy, and I suppose if your perception of what the article is about is based on the belief that the title indicates some hard, cold, impersonal facts forthcoming, such as a review by Consumer Digest, then that would be a valid opinion. But, in this case, in all fairness to the author, based in part on my writing background and love of writing for the entirety of my life, I must take issue with that assessment in that the title clearly identifies the article as personal ("I") and opinionated ("Like") and I would expect something more than a scientific review of Bodum and their products.

In fact, it would seem to me that the love of coffee is tied to memories and emotions... in fact, most readers well remember the TV commercials of the 1970's and 80's, and perhaps some into the 90's, where "coffeemakers" Maxwell House and Sanka often seemed to use commercials that worked to tie their coffee to positive emotional experiences that are either common to everyone or desired by everyone. If you remember the commercials, then you know what I mean... they wanted to, and succeeded in, finding ways to make us all remember words like "Good to the last drop!" A number of coffee companies did these things.

So, all-in-all, I would hope that Mark had a pretty good story to tell because I'd be bored with the likes of "Bodum produces many quality products at an incredibly low/affordable price to the consumer." That's an ad, not a story.

Besides, we all have great memories of sharing memories over a cup of great java with friends and loved ones. My plans for the morning after my impending wedding revolve around sharing coffee on the deck with my wife-to-be, Tina, as the sun comes up over the Atlantic Ocean and the Virginia seashore.

Yeah, that's probably pretty mushy too, but then again, being a "coffee fanatic" seems to revolve around a "LOVE" for coffee, not a liking nor just a need for caffeine.
espressobecky
espressobecky
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-3
Drip: French Press, Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jun 16, 2004, 11:30am

Good article.

I love hearing about how people got into the world of coffee.  I started out on a Bodum too.

Becky

...and on that note, I need a coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Fri Jul 27, 2007, 8:32pm

bit of a random question: anyone know why the "m" in "bodum" looks more like a sideways "3"?  it could just be a style thing, but i've always thought there may just be a story behind this.  curious.

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jul 27, 2007, 9:22pm

harrymanback Said:

bit of a random question: anyone know why the "m" in "bodum" looks more like a sideways "3"?  it could just be a style thing, but i've always thought there may just be a story behind this.  curious.

harry.

Posted July 27, 2007 link

Another urban legend in the making?  (ref:  urban legend has it that Proctor & Gambles's "man in the moon" logo is proof of the company's ties to evil."

Likely just a memorable style of letter font so you can more readially picture the word BODUM in your head.

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
JacobS
JacobS
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: Robur
Roaster: Probat '73 RE 1 Sample...
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2007, 12:30am

You know why half the WBCs are from Denmark? Pre-ground supermarket coffee chokes the Bodum press-pot piston!

According to my theory the popularity of the Bodum press-pots is the main factor in creating an awareness of coffee quality among Danes.
First the supermarkets offered hole beans and put up grinders for the customer to use. People quickly found out that the coffee were best on day one and instead of using the grinder down at the supermarket, Denmark probably got the largest blade-grinder to household ratio in the world.
In the old days at least, Danes were very open minded and soon many people wanted to pick up a different bag of beans. Better quality, fresher roasted, more fairly traded or organic coffees were now the name of the game.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Why I like Bodum...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.309633016586)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+