Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Defining What is the God Shot by Mark Prince
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Defining What is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Defining What is the God Shot by Mark Prince

Defining What is the God Shot
by Mark Prince

Mark Prince tackles a heady subject who's time may have come - defining a new term in espresso vernacular: the God Shot.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Nov 12, 2002, 11:45pm
Subject: a moving target

It will be very interesting to see a streaming video of one of your god shots.
La_Maudite
La_Maudite
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Hario Deco-5
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2002, 7:52am
Subject: One God Shot per barista?

Hi Mark,

The description is awesome. Such a shot would definitely make my day! :-)

But given one's taste and skills evolve in time and that the bar is raised every time the planets are aligned, how can there be more than one God Shot for each individual? To have 30 or 40 of those shots engraved in your memory, you have to consider them of equal greatness.

I guess what I'm saying is, just as your experience of a God Shot have changed, the number of God Shots you remember will go down in the future.

Is it better to have a shot so delicious that it raises the bar and have the 30-40 shots become great shots instead of God shots? Or is it better to never raise the bar so that those 30-40 shots remain memorable? :-)

The ultimate God Shot will stand alone and my goal is to have one God Shot to brag about :-)

Cheers

Carl
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2002, 10:53am
Subject: The Ultimate Shot

Mark, thanks for the article.  I agree with your working definition of "the God Shot" and the comment by karl Rice.  Trying to at least duplicate ones previously  "best" shot and striving to improve on that standard is what makes espresso the ultimate (at least coffee) drink. I've redefined my "God Shot".  So I guess my count is ~1 God Shot.
blkeagl
blkeagl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2002, 11:15am
Subject: It is the journey, not the destination...

I have to say that my personal experience in life... relationships, martial arts, meditation, sports, programming, cooking, etc...  it is the process that counts.

The seeking of perfection, the intense personal search for improvement and the desire to do better next time. Hence the floating goal of the God Shot. I've experienced many times in my various pursuits an amazing revelation, or momentary touch of 'perfection' that motivates me to work harder to reproduce it. That perception of perfection changes as we learn more and more, but it is ultimately the driving reason we continue.

Loved your article... sorry for the blathering incoherency of my comment.

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2002, 3:02pm
Subject: Raising the bar

Love the article, and I agree that God shots have a floating bar attached.

There amy also be technology involved. I had a shot at Intelligentsia recently that got me thinking that espresso quality for the industry as a whole may be an evolving thing.

The bar was really busy, and the LM FB-70 was humming. The shot was 100% crema that was stable! It didn't quite separate and had the mouthfeel of microfoam. It was lighter (if a triple ristretto can be called that), but also more oily and adhesive than a regular espresso.

It may or may not be the next step in espresso evolution, but it sure was memorable!

In any case, it is possible to create an espresso where the crema is the equivalent of microfroth, melded with the liquid. I've had one. Has anyone else seen it?
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Nov 13, 2002, 9:03pm
Subject: Black Cat Made This

I'd just like to note all the photos in this story used Black Cat from Intelligentsia, a 5 days-off-roast batch (I bought it 2 days after roast, this was into the 5th day of the poundage)
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2002, 9:50am
Subject: That's IT, dammit!

I'm getting my Isomac Tea, Mazzer Mini, and ordering some Black Cat, gosh darn it.

I just had the most hideous cuppa (latte) machiatto from one of my favorite local places and I knew from watching how bad it was going to be... scalded milk w/o noticeable foam and MASSIVELY overextracted espresso.

I NEED to just do this myself all the time again (my current job has stale old rancid GROUND coffee delivered MAYBE once a month and no espresso machine).  <sigh>

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
maximillion
maximillion

Espresso: Saeco Barista
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Roaster: Procter Silex Popper
Posted Mon Jan 4, 2010, 7:08pm
Subject: Re: Defining What is the God Shot by Mark Prince

What happen to your god shots? I saw some of the espresso photos on your Flickr with thick dark brown crema and flecking on top, those look like god shots to me!
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Defining What is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296880960464)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+