Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Meet the New Drink: The Traditional Double by Mark Prince
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Meet the New...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
blkeagl
blkeagl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2003, 10:37am
Subject: Blond is the marker..

I've played with making ristretto's and timing my shots to perfection, but found that for my personal use and taste, it was much simpler to aim for good crema (good flow) and to stop the shot when the blondness appears regardless of volume and time duration.

Interestingly, I've had occasion to make singles for guests from time to time and find that to work a little differently as well.

I still time my pulls, but now I don't look at it as a must to stop my shots early if the flow still looks good.

I've noticed that my best shots are very consistent in how they pour and the pressure that the group is under when they start pouring (I have the Tea so I can watch that).

Tarik
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
blkeagl
blkeagl

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos, Silex
Drip: Whassat?
Roaster: Hottop Bean Roaster, HW...
Posted Tue Jun 17, 2003, 10:39am
Subject: What I mean to say is...

... that I'm not pulling shots by volume.. sometimes they are full doubles, sometimes they are shorter (usually?).
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
tonx
tonx
Expertise: Professional
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2003, 11:19am
Subject: Re: Meet the New Drink: The Traditional Double by Mark Prince

as a professional barista with enviable access to the best equipment and hands-on training, I continue to find it almost cringe-inducing the degree to which the emerging webgeek home espresso culture is mired in notions of exact timings, volumes, and fixed characteristics (which will vary wildly by bean).  I've coached some folks that bought a Sylvia and self-taught using the information on coffeegeek and other forums and found alot of their expectations rigid and backwards.

My simplest bit of advice (without going into a rant of sorts) would be to begin with a bean you like, prefereably one whose characteristics you have viewed and tasted in a professional environment (tall order - I know).  Stick with a double portafilter regardless of the drink you want to make as switching between baskets will screw up too many variables to be worthwhile.  Do not be afraid to waste beans. Trust your eyes, nose, and tongue more than any stopwatch.  Invite cute baristas into your home for private lessons...
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Jun 18, 2003, 7:02pm
Subject: Response to Tonx.

Tonx, I think the first thing that caught my eye in your posting was "begin with a bean you like...". Everyone I know in espresso, from the most advanced amateurs to the most seasoned professionals, know that espresso is made from blended beans, not single origins. The reason? Espresso is a harsh brewing method, and will overemphasise high notes and seriously expose bad notes in single origin beans... blends play strengths and weaknesses off each other, and deliver a more complex, more rounded, and more satisfying drink. There's only two single origins i've ever had that "cut it" as an espresso - Yemen Mocha (though that's going away because the Yemeni are discovering proper sorting methods) and an amazing, and gone Haitian Jacmel, which at one time had very poor sorting which delivered a wide range of bean styles in the same bag.

Second issue? Yes, some people go way too far in their home experimentation. But that is not their fault or something to criticise. If a newbie comes to this site, and tries to jump into the advanced stuff right away, who's fault is that? There are plenty of beginner perspectives, articles and forum comments within CG that will get them started without concerning them about PID controllers or bathroom scales.

That said, there's a reason why 85% or more of the cafes out there produce a product that is, to be brutally frank, far inferior to what a typically advanced CoffeeGeek member can produce at the home: attention to details :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jun 19, 2003, 3:33am
Subject: Followup to the previous comment

I want to apologize for the tone of the previous comment. I didn't mean to challenge Tonx or belittle anything he (she?) wrote - but upon review, I can see how it can easily be interpreted that way. I just wanted to present the argument that attention to detail was a good thing, and point out that espresso is usually 'beans" as in "different origins", not a single origin.

Sorry!
Notaddicted
Notaddicted

Espresso: Brasilia
Grinder: Faema Commercial beast
Vac Pot: bodum santos
Drip: braun old thing
Posted Tue Jul 8, 2003, 3:08am
Subject: Concurr

Although I never went over to the " dark side"  ( ristrettos), this was the first article I read on my way back from coffee siberia.  

I had gone off coffees for a few years, and I totally concurr with what you said about " I know a heckuva lot more about the espresso brewing mechanics today than I did five years ago."

I only stopped pulling shots for about 3 years tops, and had run my machine for 10 years before that.  Yet in the few WEEKS i've spent online in this forum,  I've learned more about shot making and latte' art  than my entire coffee lifetime prior..  ( although it's been 2 weeks and I STILL haven't been able to get decent enough microphone to pour a decent rosetta!!!)

My equipment has been the same since 1990.. but my knowledge and expecations have increased..  Yes, we have gone to another level..
heatgunroast
heatgunroast

Espresso: Dalla Corte
Grinder: Mazzer Mini; Zass, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer (wanna...
Drip: Various press and pour-overs
Roaster: Heatgun, Dogbowl
Posted Wed Jul 16, 2003, 10:29pm
Subject: Worth Reading and Repeating

Mark,
This may be a case of more here than met your eye when you wrote it, and some of the reader comments bear that out.  I hope you will return to this topic after it has settled but before the crema is gone.   I'm much impressed with this comment snipped here:

Espresso is a harsh brewing method, and will overemphasise high notes and seriously expose bad notes in single origin beans... blends play strengths and weaknesses off each other, and deliver a more complex, more rounded, and more satisfying drink.

I knew that.  But even in longer pieces on blending, I've never  I've never seen it stated that that clearly and directly.  
Nicely done.
Martin
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Tue Mar 29, 2005, 3:35pm
Subject: Re: Meet the New Drink: The Traditional Double by Mark Prince

so the 2005 USBC has come and gone and the World title is on the line....
but due to some interesting discussion over on the USBC 2005 thread I went back to doubles to refine my technique...
WHY

well after some brief soul searching...traveling made me lose my mojo.....(pun intended)

it really came down to the arguments over semantics of using triple versus double... I like triple ALOT....
but double I use less coffee....and well I pull better shots...

WHY

well basically because since getting the CLICK TAMPER from espressoparts
I realized I tamp too hard...which means my grind is off which means I am not getting the best from each shot...
so I went back to the drawing board and have rediscovered my mojo...the mousetail has returned to my pours....

not the heavy flow that looks awesome when John pours them.. but the simple tiger infuzed mousetail.... SWEET

very happy with the results and I have in fact rediscovered the double in my household....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Meet the New...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225693941116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+