Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Cafe du Monde, New Orleans by Guest Author
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Cafe du Monde,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
submitarticle

Expertise:

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2002, 12:00am
Subject: Cafe du Monde, New Orleans by Guest Author

Cafe du Monde, New Orleans
by Guest Author

Cafe du Monde is an institution in New Orleans. Donald Blum talks a bit about his favorite hometown cafe.
 View Profile Link to this post
phaelon56
phaelon56
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM 4 group , Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Major, Super Jolly,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Fetco, Melitta
Roaster: Sivetz , Diedrich
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2002, 2:28pm
Subject: Does Cafe du Monde's cafe au lait vary in consistency?

Really enjoyed your article, Donald, particularly as I just recently visit NO for the first time (was there for a four day weekend just after Mardi Gras). We enjoyed some great food, music and relaxation. We also visited Cafe du Monde and I was unexpectedly disappointed by the cafe au lait. It was much weaker and less intense in flavor than I had expected. My reference point is cafe con leche done in the Cuban style. Is it possible that Cafe du Monde is inconsistent from one day to the next or were my expectations unreasonable. By the way...  I had one of the worst cappucino's I've ever had at a coffee house down near the brewery building that's just up the block from the French Market. Although it was terribly bitter and acrid, it was served in a tall clear glass and the layers of espresso, milk and foam were separated - looked really cool (but didn't taste great). Fortunatley, the next morning I happened onto a CC (City Coffee?) location just up the block from the Hilton hotel. Had an outstanding cappucino there - one of the  best I've ever had outside of the ones I'm now making at home (after months of learning how to use my equipment).
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dsharp88

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1
Grinder: Mini Mazzer, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, 1-cup Melitta
Roaster: Alpenrost, FreshRoast+,...
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2002, 8:33am
Subject: usually consistent

I haven't had a bad cafe au lait experience there, but there's no telling if a new person was brewing the batch or they had some other error along the way.  CC's is a local coffee house chain owned by Community Coffee, one of the most popular local brands of coffee (and coffee and chicory, of course).  One thing I didn't put in the article is that the original Cafe du Monde I wrote about wasn't using the thick mugs I love so much when I visited last week (being washed?).  The photo of the beignets and coffee in the thick mug accompanying the story were taken at another Cafe du Monde closer to my home in the suburbs.  So I suppose there can be some inconsistency although I have never noticed it in the quality of the cafe au lait.  There is other similar cafe au lait to be had all over New Orleans, of course, but I just mentioned Cafe du Monde in the article because that is the original and, by far, the best known.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 10, 2002, 2:10am
Subject: Updated version on Sat, March 9

Just a quick note - I put a slightly updated version (Don sent it in) online today.
regularjo

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Aug 31, 2007, 3:35am
Subject: Re: Cafe du Monde, New Orleans by Guest Author

I got some Cafe du Monde coffee to take home.  I made it at home like I would usually make coffee - 2 scoops in Krups drip machine.  It tasted like cigarettes and did not taste like it did in New Orleans at all.  What am I doing wrong?
EddieDove
EddieDove

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Fri Aug 31, 2007, 7:36am

regularjo Said:

I got some Cafe du Monde coffee to take home.  I made it at home like I would usually make coffee - 2 scoops in Krups drip machine.  It tasted like cigarettes and did not taste like it did in New Orleans at all.  What am I doing wrong?

Posted August 31, 2007 link

Nothing.

In my opinion, the stuff they sell in the can is awful.

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
metaphoric

Posted Mon Sep 24, 2007, 11:12am

New Orleanians used to brag about CDM, but I don't hear that much anymore except from recent expats who are waxing nostalgic.  It's really become a Dunkin' Donuts for tourists.  CDM's overly sugared beignets were never really French or Creole, and as to the coffee, well, there's only one reason for chicory root in coffee, and that's a lack of sufficient coffee beans.  You drown it in milk 'cause it tastes so bad.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2007, 6:13am

As with most things, I suppose it depends upon what you're used to . . .

I find  the café au lait at CdM to be VERY consistent, and a welcome experience during my annual visits to New Orleans.  Then again, so, too, are the cappuccinos I get at CC's.  As for the beignets -- the ones at Café Beignet are also quite good, but the best ones are supposed to be at a place just off the I-10 whose name I can'trecall justnow.  Never been there, but I've heard nothing but good things.  (As soon as I remember the name, I'll add it to this post.)

As for the coffee that is sold by CdM, they offer a variety of different ones.  I've been able to make some pretty good café au lait with their coffee, but I do it in a prespot, not an automatic drip . . . .

That said, I'm off to New Orleans again on October 19th, so . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
mywytefeet

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Jan 26, 2009, 3:13pm

I love this coffee, but maybe that's because I have grown up on Vietnamese style coffee (Chicory coffee + condensed milk.)  I love it over ice for lunch or hot for breakfast.  Not sure if this is the actual brand of coffee most Pho restaurants use, but the flavor is correct.  Don't get me wrong, I love using my burr grinder and grinding fresh blue bottle coffee and using my french press to enjoy a morning cup, but lately the pre-ground Cafe Du Monde (they apparently don't sell whole coffee beans?) in the orange can has hit the spot when I feel like re-creating a nice Vietnamese coffee at home.  I prefer the richness of condensed milk over regular milk and sugar and even when I make blue bottle coffee, I find myself pouring a dab of condensed milk in my mug prior to pouring my favorite BB coffee.  I will say that any other pre-ground coffee I have tasted I absolutely hate.  I also only use a stainless Moka Pot to create my Viet coffee and usually french press to create my blue bottle coffee--ANY coffee out of an auto-drip taste like watery cr*p.

Anyone else on Coffee Geek like Vietnamese style coffee?
Walker

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Breville BCG450XL
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jul 4, 2009, 6:50pm

"Anyone else on Coffee Geek like Vietnamese style coffee?"

You've got to be kidding.

The only reason Vietnamese began drinking coffee that way is because French colonials, (who populated the local cafes and imported the coffee) did so.  They in turn drank the swill because refrigeration was non-existent in that hot and humid country at the time.  Upon returning home to France, this 'innovation' was promptly forgotten.  As was the need for chicory root.  

Various peoples and cultures (French colonial planters in Vietnam, Acadians and chicory root in South Lousiana, Germans and 'ersatz' coffee in World War I and II, U.S. soldiers and powdered instant coffee) have been forced to use expedients in lieu of the real thing.  As soon as they got the real thing, they promptly dumped the expedient.  But only American tourists seem desirous of making it a 'tradition'.

Some traditions just need to die.  Especially chicory coffee and sweetened milk!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Cafe du Monde,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298017024994)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+