Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Up at the Sharp End by Alan Frew
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Up at the Sharp...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Mar 8, 2007, 6:19pm
Subject: Re: Awesome Article, but two points...

MarkPrince Said:

but I have to echo the first posters' comments - I disagree with the conclusion that the Silvia is as consistent as a HX machine. I've put several machines head ot head with the Silvia myself, in some pretty intense testing, and where all other things are equal (volume of grinds, tamp, baskets used, etc), it has a hard time matching the shot performance of some of the HX machines that are just as "dialed in" as the Silvia is (ie, temperature surfing, flushing the grouphead, knowing the cycles, etc).

Posted June 2, 2003 link

Alan makes an interesting conjecture attempting to debunk the myth of temp surfing the Sylvia

To quote

"often repeated in online forums that "the Rancilio Silvia is a
difficult and finicky machine make good espresso with." Actually,
I find it easier to make good espresso with a Silvia (given, of
course, a decent grinder) than with any comparable machine.

You read a lot about boiler temperature variations and the need
for PID electronic control, but again, I've never found it
necessary. To prove to myself that I'm not imagining things I
recently conducted a set of three straight runs of 6 double shots
(18 shots in all), measuring the temperature of the shots in the
glass as soon as they were pulled. The coolest shot I got was
67C, the hottest was 69C, and all the shots tasted basically
identical. During the process I simply ignored what the boiler
was doing and just kept on grinding, tamping and brewing. There
are people out there who claim to be able to detect a 1C or less
variation by taste; I'm obviously not one of them."

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/newsletter/september2006.html

Coming from an experienced barista, this seemed surprising until I thought about the premise of temp surfing.

There is a belief that the temperature of the water in the boiler correlates in linear fashion with the measured temperature outside the boiler.  However, Alan certainly notes that the water temperature exiting the portafilter varies vary little regardless of when he makes his pour.

This is not surprising in a machine which contains a lot of thermal mass e.g. heavy duty brewgroup and portafilter.

Thermal mass acts like a thermal 'flywheel' which has a tendency to even out temperature fluctuations.  It buffers marked temperature variations of the surrounding environment despite changing heating inputs.

We are going to build an environmentally-friendly house based on this premise which will keep the house warmer at night during winter and cooler during the day in summer.

Once the Silvia has reached operating temperatures - all components warmed up to a stable level then you should expect much less temperature variations and hence this observation.
 View Profile Link to this post
Worldman
Worldman
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Cimbali 6/S
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2007, 3:52am
Subject: Re: Up at the Sharp End by Alan Frew

Alan,

A nice article...thanks.

As far as the Expobar p-stat, mine has one and always did as you can clearly see in the picture. (You can also clearly see that mine has had some modifications, but the addition of a p-stat was NOT one of them.)

Len

Worldman: side insul from front.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Len
Len's Espresso Blends
www.lensespressoblends.com
 View Profile Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Wed Aug 8, 2007, 4:55am
Subject: Re: Up at the Sharp End by Alan Frew

Hi guys,

Just thought that I should put in a little reminder that this article was written four years ago!  (At the time of this posting ;P)

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Up at the Sharp...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221107006073)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+