Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Two Hours of Joint Solitude, The Cafe Stage
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Two Hours of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
Woofy

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2005, 11:40pm
Subject: Re: Two Hours of Joint Solitude, The Cafe Stage

Loved the article, Sandy! It's so great to see that someone else has noticed. The closest Wi-Fi enabled Charbucks is like a library, but across the street at the neo-goth Coffee Messiah it's all about conversation and no stinkin' Wi-Fi. It's fun just to go from one to the other for coffee just to experience the culture shock.

Unfortunately, I also live a few blocks south from the nortorious Top Pot Coffee shop in Seattle. In addition to great coffee, they have the most insanely wonderful doughnuts on the planet and staying there will turn you from a 1 to a big O faster than my sport bike can do zero to sixty. While Top Pot has Wi-Fi as well, most folks aren't talking because their gorging themselves on those deep fried chunks of heaven. Top Pot's doughnuts are so good, in fact, that the local Charbucks (1.5 blocks to the north of me) has had to resort to selling Top Pot's doughnuts (for almost twice the price) to keep their customers from walking the extra four blocks.

I think I hear those doughnuts calling me now...must resist...must resist... Okay, I have a dozen stashed in my oven so my friends don't catch me with them and attempt yet another intervention! Little good the last one did. All they did was eat the doughnuts! <grin>
 View Profile Link to this post
BeeBux

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005, 6:08am

I do agree with you, but I guess another reason that I go to coffee shops is to listen to the world. It is like a movie where you see for a glimpse of time, the story of someone in front of you. Maybe a lovers fight, maybe a friends reunion, maybe the stress of a college person... And these flashes might awake in you memories or ideas, so it is a source of inspiration to keep you moving forward.

Have a nice imagination.
lethalblonde
lethalblonde
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa a Leva
Grinder: Innova flat burr
Drip: Capresso MT500
Roaster: Big, heavy, old wok;...
Posted Wed Nov 23, 2005, 12:14pm

Between blinks, shared perspectives from lives truly worlds apart creates a tesseract with a cup of coffee.

You presented ethno-demographic honesty that was interesting; a travelogue from a major road trip would be of value and no little fascination!

Trisha

"The blessing lies not in living, merely, but in living well."  Seneca, 8 B.C.
chrispy85
chrispy85
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: la Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: n/a
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: FreshRoast, popcorn popper
Posted Tue Nov 29, 2005, 5:19am

a travelogue from a major road trip would be of value and no little fascination!

Thanks, Trisha. That's kinda what I was shooting for -- that, plus the social commentary of "why the heck do we go to these places if we feel this way about them?" (see the 500 previous posts whining about crappy coffee shops, hot counter girls notwithstanding...)

And for the record, one of the main reasons I travel is so I can write about it.

Chris
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Damocles

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Thu Dec 1, 2005, 3:12am

I've always liked reading tidbits of what people think, and i like it. I might not always agree to whats said, but it makes me think and re-evaluate, and thats priceless.

Thanks for a good read. Just what i needed as a short break at a stressed out work-place.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Perkins
Perkins

Posted Tue Dec 6, 2005, 8:43pm

chrispy85 Said:

(see the 500 previous posts whining about crappy coffee shops, hot counter girls notwithstanding...)

Posted November 29, 2005 link

Yeah okay, I resemble that remark, cuz.  I guess I like cafe's as much as the next bloke, heck i keep going back, don't I?  Like a lab rat hitting the feeder bar.  But I gotta admit, I wish I wasn't such a long drive and a major body of water away from the nearest good cafe/roastery.

So... planning on travelling and writing about it?  Is the emerald city on that list, Dorothy?

Scott
EspressoOutfitters
EspressoOutfitters
Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Dec 7, 2005, 8:21pm

slidingmike Said:

Great article.  It's sad when walking (or driving) down to your local cafe and ordering a drink is the only human interaction we have on some days.  I've found myself doing and thinking the same thing.  But cafes do provide that gravity, to pull us out of our online existence.  It's rare when a cafe really realizes the full importance of its existence -- not just to make shareholders money, but to provide a place for great coffee, for social awareness, for public discourse, for private meetings...

Posted October 20, 2005 link

I've had plenty of days like that, especially when I was single.  Now, interaction is at best on my terms I'm used to, being a stereotypical artist, it's very easy to get lost in my own little world, being a business owner, even more so, you tend to get enthrawled within a tangent and it consumes all of your focus.  I think all people are alone within the very creveces of their psyci, "ignore the spelling :)", to where they are each their own island when it all really comes down to it, at least to a point.  

The cafe setting, or at least desire to be in a crowd is similar to how traditional bar's were considered during the first 1/2 of the 20th century, it's still around, but not nearly as much, given the coffee shop represents a more healthy alternative.  That, and you aren't having to worry about monitoring your drinking status before getting behind the wheel.  A little clutter, and utter chaos which is standard when you mix people also adds a little to the creative elements, especially if you are a writer, so perhaps, that's why you were there, you needed a muse.............

Innovative, custom espresso carts and kiosks by http://www.espresso-outfitters.com check out my forums at http://espressoforums.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Taniwha

Posted Wed Jan 4, 2006, 11:56am

How to talk to people

Step 1: make eye contact. you can tell immediately if someone doesn't want to talk... but if they hold the contact then continue
Step 2: is to smile.. if they smile back, then continue
Step 3: say "How are you?", or a local variant of the greeting, or something about the weather. If they give a generic reply and look away, then stop, otherwise continue
Step 4: talk about coffee!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Two Hours of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233886003494)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+