Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
CoffeeGeek and You., The Cafe Stage
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > CoffeeGeek and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ChuckViau

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Not There Yet
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Cona "D"
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: I-Roast2, FreshRoast Plus 8
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 10:07am
Subject: Re: CoffeeGeek and You., The Cafe Stage

Very though provoking replies from everyone!  In light of all of this, I decided to shoot an email over to Larry Solomon at The Green Beanery:

Hi Larry!

In light of the recent article posted on Coffeegeek.com by Jeanette Chan, I would just like to take this opportunity to tell you that I found my way to your website and bought there under chuck_viau@hotmail.com because of the ads on the Coffeegeek website.  I haven’t’ bought over $100 yet but as you know from a previous email that I’m going to buy an I-Roast 2 and I’m going to buy it from you.

Thank you for supporting Coffegeek.com.  Without it I would never have ventured into the home roasting.

Regards,

Hopefully this kind of feedback to vendors and advertisers helps a little...

CHUCK
 View Profile Link to this post
expobar

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 10:35am

Here's a list of sponsors I've bought from:  EPNW, WLL, Coffee Emergency.  I plan on buying from Cafe Green Bean in the future, but at the time have no need for new machine accessories.  When I do, I'll go to EPNW or WLL - I've had good experiences with them, and they're worthy of repeat business.  

I think it's a bad idea to guilt-trip people into buying stuff from CG's sponsors for two reasons:  first - there's a good chance these people don't have the money to buy anything from the sponsors.  Making them feel bad may make them spend money they don't have.  Second - people may already have their own suppliers.  I bought my coffee from CE before they sponsored CG because they're a local business, for me.  I never consider whether or not a business is a sponsor of a site in what I buy.  CoffeeGeek is unique in the fact that it's sponsored by the majority of reliable, reputable machine vendors - but if I find a better one that is selling cheaper, that isn't selling through CG - I'll buy from them.  

More than anything, it infuriates me when people try to guilt trip me into doing something.
stinkyjones
stinkyjones

Espresso: Wega Atlas EVD 1GR (Black)
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly (Orange)
Roaster: New!: GG/SC
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 10:42am

From my perspective, the business has outgrown the model.

Sell adspace to companies outside of the coffee industry.
Solicit investors.
Charge a monthly fee.
Evaluate ads on a clickthough basis.
Reduce hosting costs by exchanging hosting fees for advertising.

CG seems to be stuck in a "this is how we've always done things" mode, and treading water financially will continue until the model is changed. Sure, it's nice to not be bombarded with adverts from jamaican gambling websites, but it if it keeps you from whining about lack of funding, then please, please, please let the online poker ads commence. I'd much rather view ads than be made to feel guilty for not doing something after being enticed by something billed as a "free service".  From the FAQ:

6. How much will this website cost me?

Well, some may argue in our forums that reading CoffeeGeek can result in a lot of expenditures on your credit cards, but that money doesn't go to us - it goes to espresso machine companies cashing in on your upgrade lust :)

But the real answer is: Absolutely nothing. CoffeeGeek.com is supported by paid advertising and the sweat, tears, and dedication of the folks behind the site. If you are a visitor, you can view almost every single page on the website. If you are a signed on member (no cost), you not only get to view every page on the site, but you also get to participate in the community functions of the website.

Eventually, CoffeeGeek will have a "Premium Member" service, which value added services not yet seen on the website, but rest assured - every page on content on our website will be free access to all, for the foreseeable future.

GC generates a lot of hits, gets a lot of publicity and press. I don't understand why you don't capitalize on it.

The pillars of inspiration are all falling down.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Kinerry

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:11am

Start accepting donations...plain and simple.

Knife-Wielding Barista
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cannonfodder
cannonfodder
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ElektraA3,Faema2G, Isomac,...
Grinder: Cimbali, Mazzer
Vac Pot: Dont smoke pot or vac it.
Drip: Press pot
Roaster: Hottop, drum roaster
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:16am

I find myself going to the advertisers directly. I see something that catches my eye, hit my favorites and jump directly to the vendor as apposed to using the click through. I have purchased many things through many sponsors but usually do so with a direct link. In fact that last thing I won from a CG contest (xmas giveaway) I went to that sponsor and purchased an entire outfit (new espresso machine, base, knock box etc…) but did so without a click through.

It may be beneficial if the sponsors had a ‘how did you hear about us’ on the checkout. That way those of us that purchase from your sponsor’s but do not get there using an ad box, could quantify the traffic origin.

Now that I think about it, I purchased my two existing espresso machines from that same sponsor.

I have never seen any green bean advertisers here. That I purchase on a regular basis. Espresso machines, grinders, pitchers etc… are durable goods but greens for my roaster are a monthly consumable with a high reorder rate.

Dave Stephens
www.home-barista.com
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:46am

After reading this thread i went back thru and looked at all the ads. Guess what..not one caught my eye. Not because i don't buy things, i do. Simply because they are bland: ie white bread.

Flash me prices, give me sale items, show me pictures. When i order something online, ask if i read CG and did i see it there.

How does CG aquire new business? I tried beans from a new source that a member mentioned in a post because they offered free shipping. They did ask in a survey where i heard of them. New business for CG??

How about a page that is titled "Shop"? Questions are ask here every day "where can i get so and so" We could direct them there.

Just  a few thoughts. This is a wonderful forum and hopefully it will remain healthy.

Dan

Dan Brewer
TimEggers
TimEggers

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:54am

stinkyjones Said:

From my perspective, the business has outgrown the model.

Sell adspace to companies outside of the coffee industry.
Solicit investors.
Charge a monthly fee.
Evaluate ads on a clickthough basis.
Reduce hosting costs by exchanging hosting fees for advertising.

CG seems to be stuck in a "this is how we've always done things" mode, and treading water financially will continue until the model is changed. Sure, it's nice to not be bombarded with adverts from jamaican gambling websites, but it if it keeps you from whining about lack of funding, then please, please, please let the online poker ads commence. I'd much rather view ads than be made to feel guilty for not doing something after being enticed by something billed as a "free service".

Posted August 25, 2005 link

Very well said.  Except for the monthly fee.  As said above I have zero, zilch, nada interest in paying.  I'll leave first.  That's just how I feel, no offense.

expobar Said:

More than anything, it infuriates me when people try to guilt trip me into doing something.

Posted August 25, 2005 link

Me too.  Should I feel guilty for logging on and enjoying CG?  I thought "free service" meant no-strings attached.  As long as it's free and I am obeying the forum rules then leave me alone.  If that's not satisfactory then take action.  Sorry for sounding harsh but come on here this whole "you should feel guilty, what about our sponsors?" is too much.  

"You are a huge part of that, because to me and Mark and everyone behind the scenes here, this website is yours and is about you." - CoffeeGeek and You.  Author: Jeanette Chan

Don't put on a "for the people" persona then pull this sort of thing.  Don't bust your tail to give away a free service then lay a guilt trip on those that use that service as way to solicit action from those users.  If the sponsors are unhappy that is their problem, not mine.  I am not going to buy products that I don't need from them just so I can use coffeegeek.  If you guys are that hard up for money then start charging for use of this service.  Frankly let's stop beating around the bush and please keep the guilt.  Take action.

Sorry for the rant but this is low especially for coffeegeek.  Give me a break.  If free isn't working then again, TAKE ACTION!

If my using this service is troublesome for you then I'll stop using.  Nobody guilts me.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
cexshun

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Rancillo Rocky, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Bodum Press, Chemex
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 11:55am

How about a "retailers lookout" forum where sponsors are allowed to post any new sales they have going on that might entice some people from here to visit their sight. An ad simply stating they are selling a J9 does little to entice us. However, if they are allowed a forum where they can post "J9 on sale for $xxxx.xx with coupon code 'cgworksforme'", then it would do much better then a simple banner.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:07pm

Tim:

I don't believe Jeanette ever asked, in the article, for you to buy products you don't want or have no interest in buying.

What she was asking was that, when you are shopping for coffee related products, that you give CG Advertisers the first choice for your shopping dollars. That way you can continue enjoying the website (someone with 600+ posts in less than a year of membership indicates they like visiting and participating in the website, I would think), because it will be around for a while.

Mark

PS... btw Tim... you said "nobody guilts me". And you would be right on that. Nobody can guilt you. You either feel guilty on your own, or you don't.

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
discomacchiato

Posted Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:13pm

One thing I've wondered is why you don't have an area that details the top five or ten items for each product category.  This would be only the items most highly ranked by the Coffeegeek reviews.  Sort of a staff picks area or something similar to the "Consumer Reports Best Buy" items. Surely you could generate income by linking to the retailers of these items.  IMO this would be worth paying for access to.

Or take it 100 steps further and start your own online store and brick-n-mortars featuring only "CG Approved" items.  Sign me up for your first franchise!!!!
showing page 2 of 22 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > CoffeeGeek and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26383805275)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+