Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Barista Code of Conduct, BGA Files
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Barista Code...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 10:34am
Subject: Re: The Barista Code of Conduct by Nick Cho

nickcho Said:

Just a quick thing... I've been told that I, in fact, was also wrong, and that there are MORE than three species of coffee beans.  

Posted June 2, 2005 link

So the burning question is how many species of coffee beans are there and what is the likelihood of finding a new species somewhere out in the bush?  :>))
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JavaTime

Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 10:48am

Very good article Nick.  What you doing in my head?  The entire article was Spot On.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 1:25pm

MarkPrince Said:

Just a note (to address an email I just got): Nick didn't write this in response to the whole "be a critic or just shut up" thing that I wrote about in forums a few days ago. He wrote this last month. Just got around to publishing it now - I wanted some nifty shots to go with it.

Mark

Posted June 2, 2005 link

Nice photography, as always, Mark. So what's that gorgeous shot glass or demitasse? It's too narrow at the bottom to be a Nude Illy (and doesn't seem to have a handle).
snoboy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: famous Silvia... now PID
Grinder: modded Rocky SD
Roaster: SC/CO
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 1:31pm

It's a Bodum Pavina. there's a thread or two about them here somewhere. They are double walled, no handles.
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 1:52pm

snoboy Said:

It's a Bodum Pavina. there's a thread or two about them here somewhere. They are double walled, no handles.

Posted June 3, 2005 link

Thanks. They're beautiful.
ant

Espresso: sunbeam em6910
Grinder: sunbeam em0480
Vac Pot: hario syphon
Roaster: 1kg sample roaster at work
Posted Fri Jun 3, 2005, 6:29pm

That was a really nice article, but so much of it sounds like common sense.  I guess it's a sad day when people have to actively point out what is normally considered courteous and well mannered behaviour.

eg-I have a gloria jeans next door to me, and some people come in and talk about how crap they are etc before ordering, but I really really don't like that sort of attitude.  I'm also still waiting on someone to come in and give me a break of rule2.  I guess barista showdowns/ throwdowns/ challenge matches/ death duels aren't that popular in australia yet. :/

I was a new customer at some hairdresser place today, and I was sensitive..very sensitive to how everything was going and how I was being treated etc.  The same thing goes with people who are new customers of mine at either one of my jobs and ultimately it is up to us to make them feel comfortable and happy with what we are selling.

edit:  nick- have you ever read Lessons in Service from Charlie Trotter?
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
coffeeslinger
coffeeslinger
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: astoria sae3
Grinder: bunn bulk grinders, astoria...
Vac Pot: update
Drip: wilbur curtis c1000ap
Roaster: toastmaster hot air popcorn...
Posted Sat Jun 4, 2005, 9:18am

I think the service aspect of the article is intended as a reminder, not a revelation.  It's easier for me to cheerfully re-make a latte because the customer forgot to say decaf than it is to re-make a drink when I'm having the ultimate bad day.  I always feel like a jerk immediately if my reaction is less than sunny.  

I also think some of my fellow baristas let this stuff sink in more when they hear it from somebody like Nick than when I say it fifty seven times a week in our shop.  In my opinion, it is admirable for leaders of the BGA to put their ideas out there for the rest of us to beat up on.  It might not stop everybody from blasting this shop or that corporate coffee chain, but it helps motormouths like me slow down and think and strive to improve.  

Every single day.
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Jun 4, 2005, 9:29am

nickcho Said:

Nick Cho offers up a preliminary "work in progress" called the Barista Code of Conduct - meant to take the Third Wave movement on its upward path.

Posted June 1, 2005 link

It seems that the third wave in the coffee industry is welcome and could be a breakthrough of the knowledge and brewing skills of espresso.  Everyone is expecting it so much.

As we had the experience  of SCAA and so on, we do expect something break it down and make thing go further.

But, could we doubt it?  Hope not!  As I said in another thread, the things are discovering, and we are learning more and more.  If only we do not stop somewhere, we can always go further to the right point.  Let's keep going and try to find the real target.

The only problem is not to insist a definite rule and standard, then we have the space to go and to do.  If we limit the range where we can go, we have no where to go.  That is the point, I think.

There could be the fourth and the fifth wave, but we all hope to go further for this third wave.

Let's pray for it.

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Jun 4, 2005, 10:44pm

Nick, interesting take....... this might be slightly off topic...or not
I emailed Murky 5 days ago concerning a visit I'm planing in DC....still waiting for a response....
Since I am positively a customer (or will be), wouldn't a non-response be considered a no-no according to your edict "The customer is always right?
I realize you're busy, and as a self employed person I can understand time crunches...but a response would have been appreciated. Most other establishments/businesses mentioned here have responded to within 2-3 days...
I look forward to visiting Murky while in DC.....so...read your email!!!  :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
ant

Espresso: sunbeam em6910
Grinder: sunbeam em0480
Vac Pot: hario syphon
Roaster: 1kg sample roaster at work
Posted Sun Jun 5, 2005, 1:16am

Coffeeslinger-

Yeh, sometimes it happens that way and sometimes I find myself ranting like a broken record.  The most effective way that I have found in stopping attitude has been the role swap.  Put them in the customer's shoes and ask them what they would think as a customer if they got the same attitude.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Barista Code...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296494960785)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+