Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Barista Code of Conduct, BGA Files
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Barista Code...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue Oct 25, 2005, 5:36am
Subject: Re: The Barista Code of Conduct by Nick Cho

cafebeaud Said:

Great article about "selling" coffee. It's great to hear a pro say : If the consumer want's crap, give him crap...

Posted August 21, 2005 link

I like your humour.

I do hate that they sell rubish to the clients, as their really undrinkable "espresso".  Like what Italian says, that is not espresso at all.

As I was walking along the street in Beijing, I had no where to drink a cup of coffee.  In that case, *$s can be better than normal, really.

Peter

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
sinople

Posted Sat Nov 12, 2005, 7:44am

I am getting sick of  of so called professionals who belittle all service industry people. Karma will probably downsize their jobs to flipping burgers or greeting shoppers at Wal-mart. <g>
 View Profile Link to this post
Mickael_esp
Mickael_esp

Espresso: LaMarzocco FB70 2grp
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly Timer
Vac Pot: what??
Drip: Aroma
Roaster: So many good ones! Cafe'...
Posted Sun Nov 20, 2005, 8:57am

Outstanding!!! I am a repair technician and former Barista who has seen every type of Barista, from the Deli person told to work the Super-auto espresso machine to the 12+ year pro who knows his/hers craft 100%. I'm printing and E-mailing your column to everyone I know.  The biggest industry difference I have noticed is the type of training.  Ten years ago (A large specialty coffee chain) spent so much energy on drink making, now they exclusively train customer service and drink crafting is secondary (probably due to super-auto machines).  The drink is so important, but if the service is bad it doesn't matter.  Thank you!!

Mikey
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
litwardle
litwardle

Posted Tue Dec 13, 2005, 6:04am

This is a copy of an e-mail I sent to Nick, I thought I would include it in this thread. If you've had similar a experience, and you probably have then please give me a little advice!

Dear Nicholas,

I read your barista code of conduct with interest, and admiration. I live and work in the south west of the UK.
I pride myself on my skills and knowlage, however, it's always growing. I remember the first few months of making coffee. I thought of myself as a barista then (well, the training manual said I was.....) and thought I know loads. That was seven years ago and thinking back always puts a smile on my face because I see that guy in lots of coffee bars around the country. Which is why, no matter how God-awful my espresso is i never say a word. It has always been my personal rule. I broke it 2 weeks ago, and I felt really bad.

It was about 9pm. I had been driving for 3 hours on the motorway (highway) in the pouring rain. I was tired and really needed a coffee. I stopped at a rest stop where I knew there was a nation chain coffee shop. After standing un-noticed at the counter I asked for a Large extra shot amaricano to stay. The barista waked upto the beautifully shiny La Cimbali, semi-auto 3 group. I watched in admiration as he put the hot water in my mug first (doesn't happen much in this part of the world beleive me) but it all went down hill from there. He pulled a double from a lovely (apart from the piston tamper bolted to the doser) Mazzer Super-Jolly, gave a half-hearted push on the tamper and without blessing the porta-filter stuck it on the machine. He then went to the cash register, by heart hurting as my espresso was burning in the group head and charged me. He placed a dry-epresso-covered 9 Oz mug under the group-head and flicked the switch. He filled up the mug and poured it into mine. He then, and brace yourself this is a tough one, put the mug back under the head, the head with the same spent porta filter and flicked the switch again! MMMMMMMM YUMMY! He let it run to half full and pored it in my drink. I just looked at him, a little dumb-founded.

This was when I broke my golden rule. I complained. I was very polite too. I asked for a fresh one. He asked why, i told him, he argued and said I was wrong, I shouted and demanded a refund. He said no, I stormed out. I called from the car and asked to speak to the manager. I arranged to meet him inside and I told him what happened. He apologised and said he's look into it. He took my number to tell me the out-come. I was out of signal when he called back and he got through to my voice mail which said.... "Hello your through to Lee Wardle at the Havana Coffee Company etc. etc."
I really didn't want him to know my job or the company I work for, and I didn't mention it during my rantings to the PBTC either. He left a smug "the problems been dealt with and the PBTC has been discaplined" message and I just felt embarrassed.

I love my job. We distribute beans\machines\ etc. My main role is touring the bars we supply and training them. I'm so, so so so so passionate about my coffee and I love the fact that I can spread my coffee message in a positive way. There is nothing more fulfilling to me than training someone to be a barista. Seeing how they grow and become passionate about the art you love so much.

It's just really hard when some PBTC doesn't care as much as you do and is completly blind to it.

Yours Sincerly

Lee Wardle
Havana Coffee Co
UK

http://bit.ly/bvXxYT - Barista uk - My Facebook group!

http://bit.ly/cyYxmc/ - Barista uk - My coffee blog!
Muddycup

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2005, 3:37pm

What it comes down to is quality of product and customer service. Teaching your staff to pour a correct shot of espresso and maintain quality control can be down, I have three stores and we have been able to maintain top quality. I have found that I have had to create a standard of operation for all my staff and periodically check to see if our standards are being upheld.

Anytime a barrista or staff person does something incorrect it is clearly the fault of the owners and management for lack of training and standards of operation.

Jim
www.muddycup.com
jamesw

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID of course.
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: --
Drip: Braun
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Mar 23, 2006, 3:27am

Hey, Nick!  STOP re-printing the dictionary for us please.  And I have given espresso prep. advice to a local loser coffee 'shack'!

it was not his PERSONAL life, it was his business that was and is going -- down the drain!
BobDC

Espresso: Vibiemme Super Domo Semi
Grinder: Quickmill Grinder
Drip: Bodum FP & 2 Bialetti
Posted Mon Jun 5, 2006, 8:46pm

It is important to note that people, enthusiastic about the "Third Wave" may question a drink, not from ciritcism but from interest.  In a really good shop I will frequently, maybe too frequently some times, ask about my Capp or Espresso because I am really enjoying it and wish to know more about its' 'construction' or content.  This, in the manner of being in a fine bar and asking the bartender what kind of scotch it is.  One does this primarily because the drink is special AND you know the bartender is a knowledgable professional.

Bob
beaverfallscoffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Two-Group...
Grinder: Mazzer (various)
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Ambex YM-5
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2007, 7:38pm
Subject: Re: The Barista Code of Conduct, BGA Files

I really appreciate this article.  It is so easy to fall into any of those errors, and in the short time that I've been involved in the coffee world, I've fallen (I think) to at least 3 if not all 4.  Thanks for this.  I wonder (often to my co-owner) whether the barista code should include a dress code.  I realize that this is a "relaxed and groovy" business, but I've seen too many tattered jeans, short shorts, and tattoos, even in my own shop!  Other craftspeople have uniforms: jumpsuits, toolbelts, or whatever.  What about nice slacks/jeans, collared shirt (rolled up sleeves, of course, to maintain our relaxed and grooviness), and apron?  To me, that speaks volumes of professionalism.  It also looks so darn good.
BobDC

Espresso: Vibiemme Super Domo Semi
Grinder: Quickmill Grinder
Drip: Bodum FP & 2 Bialetti
Posted Fri Aug 3, 2007, 8:37pm

beaverfallscoffee Said:

, I wonder (often to my co-owner) whether the barista code should include a dress code.

Posted August 3, 2007 link

My thinking is that an agreed-on 'standard' of dress may work, even an apron.  When I come into your cafe, I don't wish to see any trappings to remind me of a McCoffee chain.  I believe the coffee and the attitude of your baristas set the tone of indivduality for your shop, not costumed sameness.  Just my thoughts.  Best wishes.

Bob
Baristabob

Espresso: Saeco
Grinder: Bunn
Drip: No, No, French Press Every...
Posted Mon Oct 27, 2008, 11:44am

Three years later and murky refuses to make what the customer wants.  Nick defends the barista.  Is this not contrary to the tone of the Barista Code of Conduct?
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Barista Code...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256092071533)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+