Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA Seattle 2005, Day 0, Road Reports
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Seattle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 15, 2005, 11:10am
Subject: SCAA Seattle 2005, Day 0, Road Reports

SCAA Seattle 2005, Day 0
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

The 2005 SCAA Trade Show and Convention in Seattle starts off with a pre-day show of intensive seminars and discussions. We cover it blog style with continuous updates all day long.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gigi
Gigi
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 15, 2005, 8:21pm
Subject: Re: SCAA Seattle 2005, Day 0, Road Reports

thanks for the quick news and good information. Very nice work! and  good support for everyone who's not there and wish be there.

:)

I wanna see the WBC!!!!!
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Sat Apr 16, 2005, 4:10am

Thanks Mark.  Fantastic coverage, as usual.

Ron Cook is an absolutely top bloke (to belie my downunderism).  He thought nothing of giving me a few hours of his time on a tour of the LM factory in Florence earlier this year, including showing me the GB-5 and making me about ten thousand espressi.

A little bit of trivia; La Marzocco is the name given to the lion with its paw on the shield.  It is the florentine logo, associated with victory and adopted by LM because in the old days they had to really fight for every sale.  I gather that the fact that it is a proper noun is what allows the o ending ... but that's just a guess.

Have one for me, everyone,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bradinvancouver
bradinvancouver
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GB5
Grinder: E-Robur
Drip: Clover/Fetco
Roaster: Gothot from afar
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 9:27am

Great coverage Mark - when I arrived Friday, I asked if there was much seating for Jane Goodall's speech. Your estimate of 1000 is a bit off - there were 2800 chairs set up. I don't think, aside from a rock concert, that I've ever seen so many chairs in one room. Now that I'm back from the show, I think I need a holiday to recover (and I'm sure you do too)...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Tue Apr 19, 2005, 9:04pm
Subject: In Defense of the LM GB5

I have to chime in a little bit about the comments made regarding the new La Marzocco GB5.

Number One:  I think Mark's thoughts that the GB5 requires "more" purging than a Linea in the case of the machine running out of water needs a little more clarification.  During the WBC when that very situation occured, the concern was that air had been pumped into the boilers and I was not comfortable releasing the machine until we were sure that any air that may have entered the system was completely purged.

Having such a situation occur during a critical event like the WBC is not something to take lightly.  If air is trapped in the boilers it can create temperature instability but more seriously, air in the steam boiler can blow out, causing the milk in the pitcher to explode out with the burst of air.  It's no fun and not a chance we wanted to take at the WBC.

In order to correct the anomaly, the steam boiler must be completely purged and the brew boiler must be bled out.  This takes a bit of time due to the large steam boiler capacity, the grouphead purge and to allow the machine to return to it's optimal operating parameters.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Seattle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23512005806)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+