Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA Seattle 2005 Preview by Mark Prince
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Seattle...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 7, 2005, 12:00am
Subject: SCAA Seattle 2005 Preview by Mark Prince

SCAA Seattle 2005 Preview
by Mark Prince

Mark Prince gives a biased (and proud of it!) preview look at this year's SCAA show in Seattle, taking place April 15-18, 2005. Check out his comments on the trade show floor, the costs, the seminars, and the parties.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Apr 8, 2005, 12:41pm
Subject: Re: SCAA Seattle 2005 Preview by Mark Prince

A very nice preview in which there shouldn't be any economic surprises.  If I were going, it would be a bargain to join the SCAA as a cmember.   Having been to the one in Anaheim, there is a lot of excitement walking the exhibition floor, seeing some of the legends like Schomer and Dr. John of Malabar Gold, and meeting the CoffeeKid, himself.
harc
harc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A
Grinder: KitchenAid KCG200MC
Drip: Capresso Elegance Therm
Roaster: Brightway Pro1500Plus
Posted Fri Apr 8, 2005, 1:18pm

On behalf of the entire Coffee Kids staff I would like to extend an invitation to the Coffee Kids reception at the SCAA trade show on Saturday April 16th at 4:30pm in Room 615-616.  There will be a brief presentation by Coffee Kids Founder, Bill Fishbein, with a few words from Thomas Fricke from ForesTrade regarding the Sumatra Relief Fund and Bruce Mullins from Coffee Bean International/Panache.  Light refreshment and a no-host bar and a drawing for a 5 Kilo coffee roaster from Praxis International.  Check out the details on the Coffee Kids website at www.coffeekids.org.
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Apr 8, 2005, 1:23pm

Oh Man.

I SO WANT THAT ROASTER.... damn. Is there any way to stack the raffle? ;)

Thanks for commenting Chipper. Looking forward to the event, and I'll have a little something to hand over to you and Bill at the party.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
parity
parity
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, La Pavoni...
Roaster: CO/SC
Posted Fri Apr 8, 2005, 2:51pm

You missed one very important piece of information regarding this trade show....what is the swag quality like? How can you go to a trade show and not collect some great free swag. The only reason I go to trade shows it to pick up free stuff. Who really wants to talk to those boring people at the booths. Trade shows are kind of like Christmas and Halloween combined. And my cube at work is a shrine to swag. :) And I don't think I would have a wardrobe without going to trade shows!
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Fri Apr 8, 2005, 10:36pm

Said:

Anyone else looking for me... I'm the small asian woman walking around weighed down with a big camera.  Don't forget to say "cheese!"
Jeanette

Posted April 8, 2005 link

<=============== Sample picture

(Thanks, Jeanette)
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Apr 9, 2005, 9:39am

Said:

Marshall!

so, am I going to see you there? If I do... I'll do a BETTER photo for you!  =)

Jeanette

Posted April 9, 2005 link

Yup. See you there!

Marshall
Luciano_Allegretti

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2005, 3:31pm

Thank you Mark for another great article,
I'm not a writer, so bare with me.
I am costantly sending new customers and Caffe' owners to your site for information.

Unfortunatly the SCAA shows are priced out of range for most new shop owners, cost of the conferance, hotel, travel, food, and then bank for each class on top of that.
Most new shop owners (under 2 years) are having a tough time with long hours (some work by themselves 12-16 hours a day), new employees, just learning to run a business.... etc. (To much to list here)
It would be nice to see the SCAA have a rookie scholership for these new folks to our industry, that covers the entire show including classes.

THESE ARE THE PEOPLE WHO NEED IT MOST!!!

As you all know 90% of all the shops out there still can't pull a shot to save their lives.
The people who suffer most are the end consumers of our industry.

And to fork out $1,500-$2,500 to attend a show (with classes) is'nt real high on their list.

If  we want our industy to stay strong, then Specilty Coffe Shop owners need INFORMATION and lots of it, thats why I love  sites like this one.

I know that a big portion of the problem stems from Equipment Distributors, Coffee Roasters, (not all of them) just trying to make a sale.  3/4's of all the Roasters and Distributors couldn't even pull correct shots at Seattle Coffee Fest in the fall of last year.

I know this sounds like I'm comming down on a lot of folks out there, but I like, a lot of others would like more consistancy in the industry.
We, in  Vancouver, WA  are very fortunate to have 3 great shops in the area, (USBC champ, Lava Java, Paradice Cafe', and The Albina Press just accross the river)

So if sound like I'm SPOILED, I am.  All of them make GREAT 5.5oz. Cappuccino.  

I am very excited about the USBC creating more interst every year about correct espresso preperation.

But getting back to my point about the cost of these shows, while it is a great thing that the SCAA  and others are doing  to get more info out there, it would be better for our industry if we could help these new shops out a little.

Thank you all
Patrick
MarkPrince

Posted Sun Apr 10, 2005, 5:59pm

Hi Patrick.

I couldn't agree more with you and your comments.

One of the feedback things I get from people who I ask about Conference and why they attend (or why they haven't attended) is cost. And cost is becoming one of the biggest gripes.

From the other side of the coin, I hear "well, if they aren't serious about business, then they won't come - it costs money to make money, or these things cost to put on...". But IMO at least that is very isolationist and narrow minded thinking. It gets the hairs on the back of my neck up...

Conference does cost a lot. It's hard to get this point across to people who don't have to cover their own hotel costs, their own conference costs, their own employee costs, and the costs associated with leaving your place of business for up to a week. Back in the day, many who ran the show did know these things, but perhaps this sense has gotten lost with time...

The idea about a newbie "track conference package" is one I really like.

I think something that costs say, $400 to $500 but includes admission, at least one beginner comprehensive class (espresso, roasting, cupping, etc) and a flexpass for educational seminars or ticketed events (ie, say 2 a day, for each day of conference) would go a long way to beefing up attendance at the show, and making it more reasonable for the attendee. It could save potentially $500 or more, and I think even a $500 price tag, tied in with say less than $100 a day for hotel, and $40 a day for meals could keep it under $1000 for the trip, making it more reasonable than the $1500 to $2000 it typically costs now. And by doing a newbie business owner package, you achieve the mission of the SCAA - promote and educate specialty coffee. Not just to those who can afford the very high current rates.

Even better: I'd love to see the day the SCAA puts on a "Starting in the Business" package for Conference. Complete package including hotel, your choice of one intensive training session or such, and flexpass for 2 ticketed or "cost" seminars a day.... for $1,000 flat rate, and $700 for each additional attendee in your group. Just cover your airfare, and meals.

Wouldn't that be awesome? But the cynic in me doubts this would ever happen.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
hopkin

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur E
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Clover
Posted Mon Apr 11, 2005, 2:08am

This year's official conference host: Starbucks

Shouldn't part of this trade-off-sell-out be that Corpbucks pay large, and subsidise for the little guys who are actually there to learn and advance coffee quality?  But who knows, maybe they got the deal, and we don't.

How, I ask, can small coffee house owners travel to Seattle with perhaps 2 or 3 of their staff to visit all the great booths (including the awesome one by the Barista Guild) and further their coffee education without going broke?

If thats not possible, whats the point?

Listed on the SCAA fees is "Exhibit Hall Visitor" does this mean that anyone can visit the trade show floor for $60 for the weekend?  This is more realistic.  There seems to be many terms and conditions in the SCAA information that are left unexplained.

Alistair Durie
Elysian Coffee
Vancouver BC
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA Seattle...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322755098343)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+