Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
2005 USBC Judges' Certification, Road Reports
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > 2005 USBC...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Dasein

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso 3 grp
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E, Kony E,...
Vac Pot: Yama & Hario etc...
Drip: Clover 1s, Press Pots, Hario...
Roaster: Probat L12, Probatino,...
Posted Sat Mar 19, 2005, 7:26pm
Subject: Re: 2005 USBC Judges' Certification, Road Reports

It's always great to see fresh copy by the coffee maestro who has been so giving of himself and his passions all these years - I'm not complaining!  And although I found this article interesting, I'm just slightly dis-heartened that there will be so much (two articles to come) coverage on these barista competitions.

Now I'd gladly read 10 articles about barista competitions if I could also read 20 other articles and reviews along with them -  and I know that time and energy are precious resources --- so I guess this is a classic case of "more guns less butter".  I guess I'd rather have a little more butter.

Bravo on the article - photos are fantastic and your "voice" is quite good in this piece.  Keep going!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Mon Mar 21, 2005, 4:04am

Among those happily sounds, I would offer my opinion for it, not to anybody but the fact only.

Who have the power to offer the certificate for judge?  If it is only for the competition, the organizer have the power for sure.  But, it works accordingly for the competition only.

I do not know anything about the USBC, but know something about the CBC, China Baristas Championships.

Besides some of them mentioned in another thread, click here, the first barista of the North Area Barista Championships for China is a young friend of me.  Before and after the competition, he was not even brave enough to make a shot for me.

As CBC is mentioned only, I would not quite trust it.  For this reason, I do not quite care whether my students attend it or not.  Better not!

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
paulsdatter
paulsdatter

Espresso: only at work
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: 2 oldies, LOVE EM!
Drip: pour-over melita
Roaster: big ole Probat
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2005, 11:14am

pstam,

The rules for the CBC are the same for the USBC. These are both sanctioned competitions that feed into the WBC. Just recently, this has been reviewed in China, so I know it is true.
The chair of the WBC board is also chair of the USBC committee this year. Mireya Asturias Jones

We are taking every precaution to make sure that these certifications and rules are standardized around the globe. There may be a lot of criticism on that point, and I understand that.
While everyone takes a trip to Italy to learn about espresso, people still go home and serve their customers the regional specialties.
(ask yourself what a cappuccino is...in Italy it is also served many different ways)

There may be many reasons you would decide to keep your students away from the CBC, but one reason should not be the judging criteria. The world has created these criteria, and we evaluate them at every opportunity.

Have you signed up to attend the Judges training in China? Sounds like you are a good candidate! You may be surprised how much you'll learn.

Trish R. Skeie
WBC Board of Directors
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Tue Mar 22, 2005, 7:39pm

Whatever my opinion is about, I would thank you a lot for your post here.

paulsdatter Said:

The rules for the CBC are the same for the USBC. These are both sanctioned competitions that feed into the WBC. Just recently, this has been reviewed in China, so I know it is true.

Posted March 22, 2005 link

I believe this.  But, I was not been to the USBC and therefore, I would not give any comments about it even if I tend to have the similar ......

paulsdatter Said:

We are taking every precaution to make sure that these certifications and rules are standardized around the globe. There may be a lot of criticism on that point, and I understand that.

Yes, so I would have someone who like to hear some different sound.

paulsdatter Said:

While everyone takes a trip to Italy to learn about espresso, people still go home and serve their customers the regional specialties.
(ask yourself what a cappuccino is...in Italy it is also served many different ways)

That is very true.  First I would ask if any, or the traditional cappuccino, is similar to the American styled one or not?

Second, as you well know that different people may get different idea after they learnt the same thing.  And the most important reason is that brewing espresso is almost completely an experienced tradition, and almost no one can explain it well, even in Italy.  That is the reason why they cannot supply enough well trained baristas to their branch coffee shops abroad.

If you ever looked at my posts in other threads, you will know that we are also sure that we can make better espresso with the Illy blend than the clients trained by the Illy staffs.  We are sure about it.

This can be a secret till now.

paulsdatter Said:

There may be many reasons you would decide to keep your students away from the CBC, but one reason should not be the judging criteria. The world has created these criteria, and we evaluate them at every opportunity.

It is the key point, as I believe.  The so-called "World created criteria" is not accepted by those Italian baristas.  If you make a careful research to the market in Italy, you can find such fact, I suppose.  I had not been check it out personally, but I had that information from the Italian coffee industry and theoretically, it does not work well.  As I mensioned in the the post about the brewing skill for the Illy blend, we never follow those standards and we can make very good espresso.

paulsdatter Said:

Have you signed up to attend the Judges training in China? Sounds like you are a good candidate! You may be surprised how much you'll learn.

I never heard about it in China.  As I learnt about your organization from the info on the internet, you may not have well organized structure yet for the whole organization in the global.  As you can imagine, problems must exit everywhere.  I know it from the very little info through my life and working experience for decades years.  So, I do not expect too much from it.  It might be unpolite, but I have to tell the trueth.

paulsdatter Said:

Trish R. Skeie
WBC Board of Directors

Nice to have a respond from you, and would tell my idea.  One day, we may meet in China, or the States or any part of the world, then we can have a chance to exchange the idea.

Thanks again.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
pstam
pstam

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2005, 9:43pm

paulsdatter Said:

The chair of the WBC board is also chair of the USBC committee this year. Mireya Asturias Jones

Trish R. Skeie

It seems that you will be disappointed.

After I checked with the people from the organizer of the CBC for the north area of China, they never heard about that.  And from the website of the organizer for the whole China, I cannot find any news about it.  In terms of searching the Chinese web pages, I found nothing.

Anyway, I had sent an e-mail to their manager, Zhang Hong, and waiting for their answer about such an information.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
pstam
pstam

Posted Sat Apr 16, 2005, 4:00pm

pstam Said:

Anyway, I had sent an e-mail to their manager, Zhang Hong, and waiting for their answer about such an information.

Posted March 31, 2005 link

Till now, there is no respond from them.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > 2005 USBC...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303756952286)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+