Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
An Espresso Glossary by Mark Prince
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > An Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
javachik
javachik
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Drip: Bodum Thermal Press
Posted Wed Sep 29, 2004, 5:15am
Subject: Re: An Espresso Glossary by Mark Prince

Great resource, Mark! What about adding "back-flushing"?

I drink coffee to RELAX!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
lino

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Home Built...
Grinder: Estro
Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 1:54pm

Hello Mark,

I'd like to put in my two bits on a couple definitions, mostly technical minutia, but this seems to be the forum to embrace that, anyway FWIF...

Grouphead:  The E-61s are *technically* passively heated...  Actively heated would imply ether a heating element in the grouphead or a pump to circulate hot fluid in.  Essentially, to be "active" you must be expending energy to complete the task.

SSR:   (if you include it) stands for solid state relay,   please donít call it an "SSR relay"   it's tackily redundant, like saying "salsa sauce" or "pizza pie"

Crema:  perhaps someone can explain this to me.  The Italian word for foam or froth is schiuma, pronounced "ski-uhm-ah" (roughly), why do we call it crema (Italian for cream) when the foam on top has nothing to do with cream or milk?  My understanding is that in Italy is that it's called schiuma (on espresso), though I'm not perfectly informed of this.  Perhaps it is just harder for the English speakers to butcher the word crema?  Schiuma has (to me) a pleasant sound in Italian, as does crema, but when pronounced in English,  crema remains pleasant, while schiuma turns quite cacophonous.

ciao

lino
 View Profile Link to this post
webidiot2

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2005, 1:27am

I have a comment on "Brew Time". I work at Tully's (A coffee shop here in Seattle) and our brew time is between 20-25 secs, and you said 25-30 is the proper length for a shot. I believe that brew time is all a matter of opinion and should be stated around 18-30 secs.
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Jan 27, 2005, 3:19am

webidiot2 Said:

I have a comment on "Brew Time". I work at Tully's (A coffee shop here in Seattle) and our brew time is between 20-25 secs, and you said 25-30 is the proper length for a shot. I believe that brew time is all a matter of opinion and should be stated around 18-30 secs.

Posted January 27, 2005 link

Sorry, but just because a U.S. company (be it Tully's , Starbucks, Vivace, Peets or whoever) says something about espresso is THEIR standard, that doesn't make it so. Espresso is an Italian invention, and the standard definition is at click here. Sub-25 second shots are about "productivity" rather than perfection.

Alan
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
expobar

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 8:17pm

I've heard 22-27 seconds is the acceptable range.  I prefer 25 second shots, but have even had good 17 second shots.  Barista's Daily Grind uses a 27 second shot, and they have great espresso.  Really, it's based on the bean and personal preference, as everything in culinary arts really is.
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Mon Jan 31, 2005, 11:48am
Subject: Tastes and Purism

expobar Said:

Really, it's based on the bean and personal preference, as everything in culinary arts really is.

Posted January 30, 2005 link

Sure, good point. But the idea that there should be a norm for Italian espresso isn't silly either. You might prefer other coffee drinks which might be done with the same basic technique (i.e., an espresso machine) but would not be the same thing as Italian espresso.
As to what to call it, well... We could agree that it's still "espresso" though not traditional Italian espresso. Or we could give it a new name. If it tastes exactly the same as normative Italian espresso and is made in, say, 15 seconds, it probably should be called "Italian espresso"...

Beer brewers have the same set of issues with beer styles. If you're a purist (which can be a very appropriate thing to do, like this Italian espresso board), you care about designations and may condition your taste on them. If you're a hedonist, however, you may come to appreciate all the nuances of what coffee can provide, from a traditional Italian espresso to some of those "fancy" coffee drinks.

In fact, if Italians have a very specific thing with coffee, does it mean they're the worldwide/global authority on everything coffee-related?? ;)

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Thu Mar 24, 2005, 5:14am

I would ask for the permision to translate it into Chinese.  If I can be permited, please responds to this post.

pstam: kaffalogo.jpg

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
counting

Posted Fri May 27, 2005, 11:24pm

HX?
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat May 28, 2005, 7:59am

counting Said:

HX?

Posted May 27, 2005 link

H X Heat Exchanger Ron. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
counting

Posted Mon May 30, 2005, 1:36am

Thanks Craig. I know what HX means, but the abbreviation wasn't in the glossary. I had to search this site to find out what it meant.
showing page 5 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > An Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277253866196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+